Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Moto Set-Up on

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:19 PM
jcfolsom
|
Intermediate
Default Fuel Moto Set-Up on

Just put on the fuel Moto PCIII and their slip on Mufflers on my 07 Street Glide. Put on heavy breather for filter. These things are definately cool. The only thing is there is a lot of popping on decel. Any remedy or adjustment? Will this hurt anything. Runs like a bat out of hell though.

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:24 PM
timberland
Road Master
From: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Default RE: Fuel Moto Set-Up on

JC, email Jamie at fuel moto.. let him know what its doing...he will probably email you another map. I did the basically the same thing and got a new map, just this week...Fixed, runs the way it should of from the MoCo now.

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:28 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Now the guesswork begins . . . install a new map, tweak this map and that map, test ride it, hook it to your laptop . . . then do it all again until you guess it's right.

The very reason I just removed the PCIII in favor of a SERT and a dyno tune.

My .02

Steve L.

Old 03-12-2008 | 11:07 PM
jcfolsom
|
Intermediate

Just got back from running it around town and a short ride on the freeway. The power is definitely up a bunch. When I let off to shift she, pops a little and I get a pretty good backfire on decel.The muffs arenice andloud on hard throttle and not too loud while cruising on the freeway.I guess I'll have to get a different map from Jamie to correct the popping.This is my first Power Commander; Is re-mapping a hard process to do?

Old 03-13-2008 | 12:52 AM
capt775
Road Master

Remapping is a peice of cake, takes maybe 5 minutes.

Do a search on the decel popping, you should find alot of info on here about it, though I would just call Jamie and tell him. He should send you a map to fix that.

I believe it's a lean problem down at 0 throttle or a little above if I remember right. My Ultra has never popped the first time with the map that Jamie sent me, and she runs great.

Although, I do smell a little rich mixture at the lower thottle possitions and I'm in the process of sneaking up on leaning those a bit.

Personally I like tinkering with the PCIII, some people don't. That's why they make so many different fuel management systems. To each his own, but the PCIII does work. I'm happy using my butt dyno and checking plugs and fuel milage to confirm.

But then again, I don't race the Ultra, I use it for a cruiser and touring bike. In 10k miles I can count on one hand how many times it's been over 4000 rpms, and never been back to the shop.

Old 03-13-2008 | 05:45 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sifularson

Now the guesswork begins . . . install a new map, tweak this map and that map, test ride it, hook it to your laptop . . . then do it all again until you guess it's right.

My .02

Steve L.
Steve,
Just curious, but why no dyno tune with the PC111 on the bike ?

Peter

Old 03-13-2008 | 01:44 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Big Peter

My .02

Steve L.
Steve,
Just curious, but why no dyno tune with the PC111 on the bike ?

Peter
That is a VERY good question actually. Latus also does PCIII installs and dyno tunes. Now to answer your question.

I never did like the way the PCIII installed with wire ties crammed under the side cover. I also didn't like bypassing the O2 sensors. The PCIII is also just one more add-on that can fail and leave you high and dry. As you know, you can't safely run your bike without it if you have to remove it on the road. Your bike will run way too lean. I also didn't like the starting issue that Dynojet didn't see fit to fix. One last thing . . . when I first installed the PCIII, I killed it when I missed a step in the directions for updating the firmware. Had to send it back to the factory to be repaired. My fault but it still made me realize what can happen if the PCIII fails.

I just want to be clear about one thing though. The Power Commander III is a fine piece of equipment. I went with the SERT because it accomplishes what I need without having to add anything to the bike. Also, my bike is tuned and runs great. Now I can just ride without having to mess with it again.

I want to be clear. The POWER COMMANDER III is a fine piece of equipment. The reasons I changed to a SERT are simply mine. Many of you probably think I'm a nitpicker who worries too much. You're probably right.
Again, my .02.
Steve L.

Old 03-13-2008 | 08:31 PM
timberland
Road Master
From: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

Steve, Sorry you had problems with your PC III, I did read what you said about the wires ...I agree but the MoCo has virtually the same mess, have you taken a look under your tank or dash???...and the 02 sensors, I personally believe IF your looking for performance and reliability the 02 sensors have got to go..as well, THEY fail, I just had 2 replaced in myChevrolet pickup, could happen on the Harley too.Hey we both are trying to reduce this global warming that the twin cam displaces in radiant heat.The comment about about the PC III that can fail...well if I'm in the middle of no where you can bet I can unplug it and replug back into the factory harness to get back to town, pretty safely I might add, the wheels won't fall off. The SERT is a programed box just like the PC III...both share a common problem, its man made and truth be known both will fail, eventually.

We agree on a lot....lets face it we both agree the MoCo didn't do a good job as far as factory settings go. I personally dont care for a company that builds a bike, HD, then has a FAT book of aftermarket add ons that are street and carb legal...WTF??? would it cost that much to installed a few, like the SERT to begin with?? Think the MoCo didn'tthink .."this is how we can make a few bucks ?

Old 03-13-2008 | 10:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, for an extra $400-500 or so. Then when you change something, another $300 for another dyno tune. Of course, you could install a PCIII and dyno tune it, for about $150 less than SERT, too. That would achieve the same ends.

What's missing here is the fact that most people who buy from Fuel Moto get a PCIII and a near-perfect map for $275 with no issues. Some have decel-pop problems, as do some SERT and T'Max owners. If you buy SERT and dyno tune it, then have decel popping, what do you do next?

Old 03-13-2008 | 10:56 PM
jcfolsom
|
Intermediate

Jamie's advise is to reset the throttle. Never messed with anything like this sooo I guess I'll go plug it in and give it a go. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Fuel Moto Set-Up on