Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer for bike behind fifth wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer for bike behind fifth wheel

I have been researching this for a while and I'm unsure of the best trailer since I am limited in weight (2500 lbs with a 250 lb. tongue weight) and length (12'). I first thought of a 6x10 cargo but the tongue weight is too heavy. Has anyone seen this http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html or this http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/. It fits the bill in weight and size but I am afraid for the security of my bike. Does anyone have any experience with towing their Harley with a fifth wheel. Oh, before you rage me about trailering, no I can't drive a F450 towing a 36' fiver and ride my bike at the same time. Thanks for your ideas.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/A54BA2FFB9D1415D87792C60DC897632.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/9D96B507509F4070BB43DAB9248EA300.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Romee08RKC
Cruiser
Default RE: Trailer for bike behind fifth wheel

I would look into some other trailers. Most small X trailers have a very light tongue weight. I know that I can easily lift and place onto ball.

what are the limits to this weight restriction? Trailer manuf. recommendation? total truck trailer GVCW?License restrictions for over 26,000 lbs.?Also, depending on the location of the bike in the trailer, this will make the tongue weight less, but will also make the trailer very unstable. ( i.e. tail wagging the dog ) which in turn, you will not see due to the size of the fiver, unless of course you are running a CCTV to keep an eye on it.

Why not look into a fun mover?

I know, not the answers you are looking for, but maybe this will generate some additional responses.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like your livin the dream screw you lol good luck with the trailer deal

Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

I wish I had that problem. Is it even legal?

Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Ain't legal here in VT.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
toastedoat
Cruiser

I just got a Kendon single bike trailer. If anything is going to be light enough, it almost has to be this - it doesn't give a specific tongue weight for the trailer itself, but I can lift it one-handed with no bike, so it can't be that much. Comes with a chock already welded on, you supply tie-downs. Only problem is you can't ride the bike onto it, and the ramp kind of sucks.

Good luck trying to maneuver that combo, whatever you decide to use - definitely a better man than me. Be safe.

Sean

Old 03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
mhud
Road Captain

It's legal in NC as long as total length is 65' or less. I believe it legal in many other states too. I'm most interested in shorter trips to campgrounds in the mountains of NC. Did anyone check out the websites?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

The second link won't wotk for me. The first link is somthing I haven't before, but it looks interesting.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 40 ft fiver for a year or so, and could never find a carrier or trailer that would work the way I wanted it to. I checked the swivel wheel rig and it is the best idea, but you still have to consider what will happen with driveways that go down hill and exit on a flat street, when the trailer hits the street the extra trailer is going to be on the ground dragging..There is a guy in Okla that builds a carrier he swears will hold a Harley Dresser if your trailer frame will support it, I was going to go that way and decided to sell the rig and go back to travel trailers or a toy hauler...
Remember that any state that touches the Atantic Ocean(according to Good Sam)triple towing is illegal...

Joe

Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
madmikee
Tourer

Your limited to either 65 or 70 feet overall length in the states that allow triples. Some of those require special permits, such as Wisconsin.
Withyour truck and fiver length, you can't do it legally.
I did it one year with with a Chev dually and 30 foot fiver and was over length in the 65 foot states.

I learned how dangerous this is when I got a flat tire on the cycle trailer.(which you can't see)
Trust me, and do not try this.

Quick Reply: Trailer for bike behind fifth wheel