Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Fork Lock Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
my eyes aren't that good, but aren't those torx screws?
No, they're rivets...I have an 05 King Classic and mine has screws...Did you buy the bike brand new or maybe it is specific to the customs but I never heard of this before. Could maybe the previous owner have installed the rivets?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2007 has Phillips screws. Seems strange that they would put rivets in such a place.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM
KSGG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed the lock cover on my '06 RK standard. It has screws, but then again, you have to be able to remove the cover to get to the handlebar clamps. Are the clamps covered on the Custom? If not, I could see why they might not have screws.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 AM
softdune
3rd Gear
Default Bike is European

I recently purchased the bike pre-owned.
I do not believe the previous owner changes these, since the bike has nothing non-stock.
Also in the first thread RoadKingHellas is talking about having rivets instead of Philips screws.

I must say this is a non-US bike... could be the reason why we have rivets.

Anybody some ideas... I wonder if I can drill them out... and fix the lock cover with a bolt....

Someone did this ?

Attached Thumbnails  Chrome Fork Lock Cover-15351046_3b.jpg  

Last edited by softdune; 05-04-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
softdune
3rd Gear
Default Can we remove the break-away screw?

Just looked into the Service manual.
It seems that for the RK Custom HDI models, they use break-away screws. So these are not rivets.
I tried to drill one... but I stopped, because I'm not clear if I CAN remove them. I'm afraid they are needed for something.

Anbody some idea?

Update: I drilled them out, and could screw the cover in without issues. Looks very nice !!

Last edited by softdune; 10-26-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
KSGG
Cruiser

My 2006 Touring shop manual says on FLHRS, after prying off the fork lock plate (plastic trim ring), "remove two phillips head screws".

Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
respectbeer
Novice

could you tell me the part number of your chrome fork lock cover/wind shield? i happen to see this on a rkc in Indianapolis a few weeks ago and loved it. massive google searches have come up empty, but i noticed your post is from 06 and thinkin maybe they are old news now. i like the look and i am also really curious how it affects the flow of air in to your chest and face? i'd like to lose the windshield for quick rides but not a fan of the air noise + can't talk to my wife without the shield (i know i know :-}) tia.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
softdune
3rd Gear

I assume you are talking about the little crome windshield. When Harley produced the Road King Custom (from 2004 - 2007) it came with this little extra windshield! The bike is also lower and has special bags.
I m not sure you can add these windshields to a traditional Road King.

And I must say when you drive with the little windshield it does help. But it is as far not as comfortable as a big screen. So for long distance I always add the big one.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 AM
rk1983
Stage II
Default Drilling brake-away screws

Originally Posted by softdune
Just looked into the Service manual.
It seems that for the RK Custom HDI models, they use break-away screws. So these are not rivets.
I tried to drill one... but I stopped, because I'm not clear if I CAN remove them. I'm afraid they are needed for something.

Anbody some idea?

Update: I drilled them out, and could screw the cover in without issues. Looks very nice !!
What did you use to drill them out with ?after you drilled them out did you have to thread the holes for the Phillips screws that come with the fork lock cover ?or is there holes under the breakaway screws to screw the news into ?

Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

My 2011 RKC:

2 Phillips Screws

Installed with Chrome Allen Screws included in kit.

Ready to ride in style.

Quick Reply: Chrome Fork Lock Cover