Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflector, What's the benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 09:52 AM
Xguy
|
Tourer
Default Wind deflector, What's the benefit?

So yesterday I thought I should put my wind deflector (the mini 18" windsheild part # 58163-02
)on the bike and by the time I got to my riding partners house , I decided to take it off, and it still at my friends house. it seem to deflect the wind right to my face, and that was at low speed I didn't even want to know what happens at high speed .
Are there any benefit for this wind deflector that I am not aware off? I mean what a waste of money.

Old 03-10-2008 | 12:46 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Wind deflector, What's the benefit?

I wouldn't give up on the shield just yet. Some will deflect better at speed kicking the wind up and over.

Old 03-10-2008 | 01:11 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Depends on high you are sitting on the bike. The top of your shield should be around the middle of your nose so you can just see over the shield

Old 03-10-2008 | 01:54 PM
PeteM
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FLHT

Depends on high you are sitting on the bike. The top of your shield should be around the middle of your nose so you can just see over the shield
Bingo!

The guy that owned my bike before me was a lot shorter that I am. Not saying he was small, just at 6'-5" I am a lot bigger than most people. He had a 9" tall windshield on it, and it buffeted the crap out of my face. My glasses wouldn't stay steady. Went to the 12" and have had zero problems since

Old 03-10-2008 | 04:56 PM
BigDaddy2
Tourer

I don't know if you wear a helmet or not, but get nailed at 65 by some huge a-- bug or possibly a bird and you'll know why you might want to keep it. I've ridden a lot of years without windshields and loved the fresh air, but wasn't touring much. Got nailed in the middle of the forehead by a cicada on my standard in 06 and I had a standard 12 in. shield and still got nailed. Knocked me looney, well worse than I already am.

Old 03-10-2008 | 07:53 PM
Terrible
6th Gear

I went to a Cee Bailey's SSC contoured windshield. You order it 3" taller than a flat shield that fits you. This one is working out much better.
http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/

[IMG]local://upfiles/20134/9F004A6A0F98412784E692723059C8F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-11-2008 | 10:06 AM
Xguy
|
Tourer

I do have two of the them, came with the bike when I bought it, my question was actually what is the use of the small one, when it just directs the wind right into your face, I know a taller windsheild (which I have but haven't tried yet) , would prollay do a better job, was just wondering if any use of the mini one which cost almost $300.00.
thanks

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:12 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Xguy

I do have two of the them, came with the bike when I bought it, my question was actually what is the use of the small one, when it just directs the wind right into your face, I know a taller windsheild (which I have but haven't tried yet) , would prollay do a better job, was just wondering if any use of the mini one which cost almost $300.00.
thanks
So far I've tried 3 windshields on my EGC. The stock one was OK...until the day it was very foggy. Couldn't see through it, and no windshield wiper, so I had to ride stretching my neck...uncomfortable at best. Went to the 9" windshield. Much better, I can just see over the top and it still stops or deflects all those pesky bugs and gravel. No fog or rain problems with that one. Now I'm trying a 4"...looks really cool, but now in certain wind conditions the wind blasts over the windshield and hits the top 1/3 of my helmet, which batters the hell out of me. Still testing on that one, might have to go back to the 9" or try a different manufacturer.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:30 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought windshields were for sissys BigDaddy2???

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy2

I don't know if you wear a helmet or not, but get nailed at 65 by some huge a-- bug or possibly a bird and you'll know why you might want to keep it. I've ridden a lot of years without windshields and loved the fresh air, but wasn't touring much. Got nailed in the middle of the forehead by a cicada on my standard in 06 and I had a standard 12 in. shield and still got nailed. Knocked me looney, well worse than I already am.

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:39 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2003flhtci

ORIGINAL: Xguy

thanks
So far I've tried 3 windshields on my EGC. The stock one was OK...until the day it was very foggy. Couldn't see through it, and no windshield wiper, so I had to ride stretching my neck...uncomfortable at best. Went to the 9" windshield. Much better, I can just see over the top and it still stops or deflects all those pesky bugs and gravel. No fog or rain problems with that one. Now I'm trying a 4"...looks really cool, but now in certain wind conditions the wind blasts over the windshield and hits the top 1/3 of my helmet, which batters the hell out of me. Still testing on that one, might have to go back to the 9" or try a different manufacturer.
I am 5'11" and I use a 7 inch Cee Baileys and after trying the stock one the 10 inch and a 8 inch this one is perfect.

Quick Reply: Wind deflector, What's the benefit?