Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring options on a 07 EGC

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trailer wiring options on a 07 EGC

Tappin' the wirin' harness don't bother me none - done properly, it ain't no big deal. Bear in mind, however, that ah wuz raised by a Pa that wuz a Field Engineer fer RCA...an' then trained in Electronics by the USN.

Mebbe that's why them line taps bother me so much - ah've seen the mess they kin leave! Ah think he mentioned the Bushtec meanin' ta reference a price point....personally, ah've usually found that cheaper kin cost more in the long run. We're runnin' a Bushtec Genesis that we've had fer 9 years now - an' it's still goin' strong (an' on its' 3rd bike).

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of reading things into it...I didn't mean to suggest that using the little plastic squeeze-on splices was best practices. I was only pointing out that you don't have to pay $40 to do the job.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel
You can get 3 of those little blue plastic wire splicers that you squeeze on with pliers and accomplish the same thing. You're still connecting directly to your bike's electric system which includes your EFI and other things I wouldn't want to burn out if my trailer wiring screwed up.
Sorry, but your statement indicates otherwise. Usin' the splices adds a whole additional dimension of future problems in and of themselves - THAT is why I reacted so strongly, because ya gotta remember that a LOT of folks here ain't electrical types. They rely on our comments and suggestions ta guide 'em - and ah didn't want ANYONE ta git the idea that line taps were even remotely a good idea! Didn't mean ta attack the messenger, though - jest the idea of the taps!