Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine crash bar as oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
curtmerci
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at a 2008 SG that has the crash bar as an oil cooler. Yes I see it as a good idea, and in my opinion, it obviously would do the job of cooling the oil. But, as stated by others, that is a lot of oil to be pumped through that tube by the oil pump. I'm not sure how the new engines oil system flows, but I am a little concerned at what happens when the bike is shut off. The crash bar sits higher than the oil pan, so undoubtedly the oil will want to drain back down into the engine. But does it?? Wouldn't that empty part of the tube now hold an air pocket? From what I can see on this particular bike, there is no thermostat or check valve to keep the oil from "running back" into the engine. Just a couple of fittings tapped into the crash bar and the oil lines run to them. I'm not sure anyone can answer what goes on inside that bar after shut down, other than a notice of more oil on the dipstick after it sits for awhile. I'm not sure if an oil cooler has internal "check valves" or not to keep the oil from draining back out on the inlet side. I don't know.... its not a deal breaker since all I have to do is put the lines back where they originally go, but my concern is any oil starvation at start up somewhere. Even a small amount will eventually rear it's ugly head at some point. I'd like to hear some more opinions though......

Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi and welcome to HDF from the UK.

I have run oil cooled bikes and the cooler stays full of oil when the engine is shut off. So the crashbar should also be full of oil. Sending oil round the crashbar doesn't seem to me any different to sending it up to the valve gear. Also recent bikes such as your 08 have superior pumps to earlier generations of Harleys. The valves that will stop any oil draining back into your engine from the crashbar are part of the oil system already in the engine.

So unless someone calls by and knows otherwise, you should have no problems with that SG. You could ask the seller how it works and what you do with it if you buy the bike?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW...i didnt know you could do this??

Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Marine Trader
Cruiser
Cool hmmmmm

Originally Posted by pop1
what are you talking about?
I wonder what Pop1 was really thinking. hmmmmmm.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

just saw it done on a tv show, the host was going over an old panhead and called in some old harley wrench guru and they did this mod.if u used an oil adapter im thinkin a anti drain back valve wouldnt be to dificult either.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I like the idea of using a part already on your bike for a different purpose yet keeping it's original function.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Denver_Rick
Advanced

I heard about this several years ago and have had it in the back of my mind since... The additional oil and the surface area of the crash bar would certainly help. Ive bent a few crash bars in my day but I dont remember any ever cracking. I think Im going to give it a try. anyone have a parts list?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

I got my oil filter adapter from jagg http://www.jagg.com/jagg/pages/filter-adapters.htm

The rest of the stuff like threaded barbed ends, hose and hose clamps I just picked up at the hardware store.

I waited till I was ready to change my oil. Then I drilled it up, flushed it out. Installed the barbed ends and oil filter adater. Connected the hoses. Topped off the oil and let it finish flushing out the crash bar for a few mile ride. Drained all the oil out, changed the filter and filled it all up. I am very happy with this mod.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyhitter01
I got my oil filter adapter from jagg http://www.jagg.com/jagg/pages/filter-adapters.htm

The rest of the stuff like threaded barbed ends, hose and hose clamps I just picked up at the hardware store.

I waited till I was ready to change my oil. Then I drilled it up, flushed it out. Installed the barbed ends and oil filter adater. Connected the hoses. Topped off the oil and let it finish flushing out the crash bar for a few mile ride. Drained all the oil out, changed the filter and filled it all up. I am very happy with this mod.
Sounds interesting. Got any pics you would care to share?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
cogener8
Road Captain

I work in a power plant and a lot of my business is heat exchange. Im kinda skeptical as to how much heat exchange your going to get. More oil does not mean a big difference in temp if it moves thru the pipe too fast to get much exchange. I also think you might be suprised by the square inch value of the motors cooling fins. The fact is the bike probably doesnt need it if you are moving and if your not moving a cooler with a fan would be way more efficient. It sounds kinda cool but I dont need any more hot pipes. To those who have tried it and liked it I cant argue with you but I wouldnt do it without temp guages and real time data.

Quick Reply: Engine crash bar as oil cooler?