Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine crash bar as oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What if you lay the bike over? I know that we don't like to think about that, but If you laid the bike down on the crash bar and it split or kinked?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewy1200c
What if you lay the bike over? I know that we don't like to think about that, but If you laid the bike down on the crash bar and it split or kinked?
Just like every other part that gets broken, from a crash or whatever, you fix that part also...

Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Those crash bars are strong. If you break it enough for oil to leak, that will likely be the least of your problems.

Beary

Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Using a crash bar as an oil "cooler", and then covering it up with the lowers sounds counter productive. That even compounds the fact that the bar has no cooling fins on it.

Moving to Vegas sure seems like it would justify a real oil cooler.

If the crash bar was any kind of effective, HD would have done it years ago.

I would agree with you if it didn't work really well. But it does, or at least it did in my experience. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the bar got so hot it melted some of the paint on my lower. So I wrapped that small portion, NOT the whole crash bar, but ONLY that small portion that contacted the lower. And since the bar got HOT enough to make the paint go soft, I know it's doing it's job dissapating heat. And while the bar does not have radiator fins on it, I see it as the WHOLE thing as one giant fin dissapating heat. Since the inlet side is hotter than the outlet side, I know the oil is being cooled off as it courses through the crash bar. And sitting on the strip in Vegas is where I really saw the difference.

From reading some of the posts here it's plain to see that the HD oil cooler is NOT for everybody. Those who wish to only run a traditional oil cooler are more than welcome to. But having run both, in my experience I have to say that both work well.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stewy1200c

Excellent question. As Beary pointed out the crash bar is quite rugged and can take quite a beating. But IF it were to start leaking than bypass it. Carry a small connecter and just hook the hoses together. However in my experience, and from what I have read from others, the real danger from leakage comes from the hose clamps, not the bar.

One think I liked about the crash bar over the traditional low mount oil cooler is ground clearance. Being able to ride up and down curbs and sidewalks without fear of smacking the low hanging oil cooler on the curb was a plus for me.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I would bet that the crash bar has more metal than the oil cooler's fins, however we could add more metal for cooling like highway pegs, lights, cup holders and even that dead cat that was hit awhile back.

.......OK, maybe not the cat.

Beary

Old 11-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I would agree with you if it didn't work really well. But it does, or at least it did in my experience. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the bar got so hot it melted some of the paint on my lower. So I wrapped that small portion, NOT the whole crash bar, but ONLY that small portion that contacted the lower. And since the bar got HOT enough to make the paint go soft, I know it's doing it's job dissapating heat. And while the bar does not have radiator fins on it, I see it as the WHOLE thing as one giant fin dissapating heat. Since the inlet side is hotter than the outlet side, I know the oil is being cooled off as it courses through the crash bar. And sitting on the strip in Vegas is where I really saw the difference.

From reading some of the posts here it's plain to see that the HD oil cooler is NOT for everybody. Those who wish to only run a traditional oil cooler are more than welcome to. But having run both, in my experience I have to say that both work well.
Hot on the inlet and cooler on the other end.
Sure does sound like it is doing what you want it to.

Interesting.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:04 PM
electradad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by electradad; 11-27-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM
blue dingo
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old mod I'm glad to see renewed. Ya just gotta be sure that bar is absolutely clean and dry. And any worries about rupturing it? You'll bust your own guts open before that thing ever cracks. It'll scratch and bend but unless you're in a violent crash it'll be just fine.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue dingo
This is an old mod I'm glad to see renewed. Ya just gotta be sure that bar is absolutely clean and dry. And any worries about rupturing it? You'll bust your own guts open before that thing ever cracks. It'll scratch and bend but unless you're in a violent crash it'll be just fine.
I was thinking about Kreeming the inside of the crash bar. http://www.bikebandit.com/kreem-tank...LAID=338724069

Stuff works great in old rusty gas tanks. Just a thought, might just flush it out though.

Quick Reply: Engine crash bar as oil cooler?