Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine crash bar as oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the different brands and styles of oil coolers out there, why would you monkey around with your highway bars?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice, but I just need the oil filter adapter part number or a working link to get the parts list.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

the crashbar is a whole lot thiker than the stuff they make coolers out of, ive seen more than one cooler with leeks from stones hittin it never seen a hole in a crashbar from a stone.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

I think this is what I am looking for http://www.jpcycles.com/product/740-909

Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

ive seen this done, drilled and tapped the flats on the bottm on each side of crashbar and used threaded barbed fittings.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
fritz982
Advanced
Default crash bars as oil coolers.

I tried that idea just once a long time ago, and to be up front it's not very effective at all. The idea for the most part is completely inefficient, all it winds up being is a large straight pipe run your oil through. This whole idea has been really around for quite some time! I too can remember, when I first had the idea I saw it on a pan had. In those days some people learn the hard way through oil starvation that this was not a very bright idea. In those days Harley oil pumps were not as efficient as they are today. To make a long story short a specifically designed oil cooler is just plain, way more efficient at cooling oil! Take a look at Jagg's web page and they will give you a complete rundown along with diagrams, that will help you understand why their product is so efficiently designed. Save your money, buy the product that's designed specifically for the job.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
bmcgc
Banned

The crash bar is just a big heat sink and the added volume of oil will reduce operating tempature. Thats just science, cant dispute that.

My concern would be that after shutdown gravity will allow the oil in the crashbar to drain back into the lowest point. The oil pan. If the level of the oil is high enough to come in contact with the crankshaft, on startup the crank will whip the oil into foam. Aerated oil will not be picked up by the oil pump in sufficent amounts to properly lube the engine.

Im curious what the oil level is before startup when 1.5 qts are added for the crashbar.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maclugie
That will void the warranty. LOL
I don't think that anybody who would tackle a project like this is worried about getting work done at the dealership. And as to why would you do this? Why the hell NOT? That's part of the fun.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Street Jewell
With all the different brands and styles of oil coolers out there, why would you monkey around with your highway bars?
Do you really ride an "Electric Glide"?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
I don't think that anybody who would tackle a project like this is worried about getting work done at the dealership. And as to why would you do this? Why the hell NOT? That's part of the fun.
LOL, if'n it don't come from a stealer and bolt on with two Chinese Grade 2 bolts, it ain't no good! I hate cookie-cutters.

Quick Reply: Engine crash bar as oil cooler?