Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine crash bar as oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcgc
The limiting factor is the size (efficiency) of the oil cooler. 250 degree oil going into the same size (efficiency) oil cooler as 200 degree oil is not going to cool to a lower tempature than the 200 degree oil after it exits the cooler.

The same reason that the radiator on my 440 Dodge was much larger than the radiator on the same car equiped with a 225.

What matters is the oil tempature when it goes back into the engine. The engine doesnt know where or how it was cooled.

What makes the crash bar such a good (efficient) cooler is that it increases oil capacity by more than a quart, has a larger cooling area, (about 220sq in I estimate), and it keeps the oil out of the engine for a longer period of time.

Your question doesnt make sense to me. The bottom line is how hot or cool the oil is when it returns to the engine for another cycle of lubrication and cooling.

It doesnt matter if the oil went through the filter only, or a HD oil cooler, or the crash bar, it also doesnt matter where the pickup for the cooler is.

Once the engine and oil are up to the recommended operating tempature, the lower the oil tempature, the more efficently it will do its job.

Over the past several years HD has made alot of changes. Cats in the exhaust, larger engines, higher capacity oil pumps, 5 micron oil filters, FI, electronic engine management to name a few. Comparisons need to be made on the same year and model bike to be valid.
Size and efficiency are not synonomous; by your truck motor example I can assume you obviously understand that a larger heat echanger has greater potential for cooling, so hopefully I can help you understand that hotter oil also has more potential for cooling. Think about this second grade science experiment, take two ice trays, fill one with hot water and one with cold water, put them both in the freezer at the same time and see which one feezes first. Right, the one filled with hot water because it has greater potential for thermal transfer. The following values are only for the purpose of explanation; 200F oil passing through a given cooler may shed 10F, while 300F oil passing through the same cooler may shed 20F, either way whatever the cooler sheds is removed from the overall oil system, so would you rather remove 10F or 20F. You're right, It wont cool the 300F oil to a lower total value than what it cools the 200F oil, but more total heat will be removed from the hotter oil. Okiephillip tapped his oil system at the hottest possible point, if he changed his crashbar oil supply connection to a sandwich type filter adapter, his system would not cool as well as it does right now. Most folks, myself included, tend to rationalize Harley oil cooling based automotive water cooling conventional wisdom just because it is familiar territory, but the way oil and water cooling systems perform is very different. I will agree that increased oil volume and time outside the heat cycle greatly contribute to the effectiveness of the crashbar cooler. You are also correct in all the other changes to Twin Cams that contribute to higher temperatures, but the most significant factor from a cooling standpoint is the position of the filter within the system. My comparison to Twin Cams and predecessor motors was to show the difference in the design of the oil systems, and attempt to explain why the Twin Cam is less efficient at shedding heat in stock configuration.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Okiephillip
Fabrik8r,

I pulled the double hum cover off. Road for about an hour out side temp 85f, pulled over in Tavern, VA the temp of the hose going into the motor was 195f . I then drove Warrington, VA Out side temp was 89f at mostly 65mph pulled over and let the motor idel for 5 minutes the return oil hose was 197f . Every time temps every time I stopped and the temps varied + - 5f.
Those two old grey beard guys on RoadGlides that told me to do this knew what they were talking about.
I'm not going to replace the double hump cover so I can keep checking the return hose temp. I'm interested to see the temps when its over 100f out side.

I no longer feel the need for an oil pain temp gauge.

Y'all have a great week .
Phillip
That's friggin' awesome. Nice job