Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine crash bar as oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 PM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 71 Triumph Bonne with the "Oiler Frame" It did not have an oil filter. It had a metal screen at the bottom of the tank that was built into the frame. I have a 1995 Fatboy and a 2009 SG both bikes have the Crash bar oil cooler. IMO it works great! The only issue I have with the coolers is at oil change time. The oil stays in the bar due to a lack of a top vent. I remove both hoses the the Bar and GENTLY use a hand pump to blow the oil out of the Bar. The oil volume is less than an a QT. To drill the holes you need a right angle drill for clearance. Also keep grease on the end of your bit to help remove the shavings. I had the SG back to the dealer for warranty work and nothing was ever said. Unless you point it out it is pretty Anonymous looking. Like others have said "It's an old Idea but it still works.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Okiephillip
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 164f degrees

How you all had a great weekend. We road bout 440 miles this weekend.
I've read a lot of speculation about temps. Below are my temp from this weekend. Saturday was right at 100f.
Riding out to Culpepper, VA it was over 100 degrees riding over the black top on HWY 15/29. When I pulled into Sheetz to get fuel the return oil line was 164f degrees Fahrenheit. In the time it took me to get 4 gallons of gas it had cooled to 135f. The low temp was 135f at 0800hrs in front Royal, VA right after pulling off hwy 66 I'd been running 74mph for about 50 miles out side temp was 82f.. The average temps are right aound 155f . Today (Sunday) out side temps were around 95f with some crazy humidity got 155f at the American Legion in Brunswick, MD and again when I got home. So there is 154f oil going back into the oil tank. I'm using a pistol style infrared thermometer. I'm happy with those numbers.

I don't care who you are, that's an oil cooler. (said like Larry the Cable Guy)
Oh yeah I'm not a vender.

Phillip

Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM
jrplane
Advanced

Can someone take a few detailed pics of the crash bar cooler mod. I would appreciate it.

A picture is a thousand words, In my case two thousand!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Phillip, if you were riding in 100 degree temps the engine was running at only 50 degrees or so above ambient, which sounds almost too low! Sounds like a healthy system to me.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Okiephillip
How you all had a great weekend. We road bout 440 miles this weekend.
I've read a lot of speculation about temps. Below are my temp from this weekend. Saturday was right at 100f.
Riding out to Culpepper, VA it was over 100 degrees riding over the black top on HWY 15/29. When I pulled into Sheetz to get fuel the return oil line was 164f degrees Fahrenheit. In the time it took me to get 4 gallons of gas it had cooled to 135f. The low temp was 135f at 0800hrs in front Royal, VA right after pulling off hwy 66 I'd been running 74mph for about 50 miles out side temp was 82f.. The average temps are right aound 155f . Today (Sunday) out side temps were around 95f with some crazy humidity got 155f at the American Legion in Brunswick, MD and again when I got home. So there is 154f oil going back into the oil tank. I'm using a pistol style infrared thermometer. I'm happy with those numbers.

I don't care who you are, that's an oil cooler. (said like Larry the Cable Guy)
Oh yeah I'm not a vender.

Phillip
What bike you talking about

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Okiephillip
Advanced

I took some pics after I changed the oil and front tire this morning. The pics are posted to my profile. My 2005 FLTRI RoadGlide I did this mod rite after I bought Back Betty with 9,800 miles as of this evening she's got 29, 648 miles on her. Lesson learned changing both tire at the same time is less work. I hope this pictures help. I'll post the drill size and tap I used in a couple of weeks.
Later
Phillip

Last edited by Okiephillip; 07-31-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

I took some pics after I changed the oil and front tire this morning. The pics are posted to my profile. My 2005 FLTRI RoadGlide I did this mod rite after I bought Back Betty with 9,800 miles as of this evening she's got 29, 648 miles on her. Lesson learned changing both tire at the same time is less work. I hope this pictures help. I'll post the drill size and tap I used in a couple of weeks.
Later
Phillip
Seems like you have a great system there. I asked what type of bike it is because you said you have 154F oil returning to the pan, which is what you measured on the the hose at the outlet side of your crashbar cooler. Not trying to discredit your observations, but your assumption is incorrect. In a Twin Cam, oil does not go back to the pan when it comes out of the cooler, it cycles through the motor to perform its lubrication duties and pick up an extra 50-70 degrees. The other concern I have is measuring oil hoses with a laser temp gun, there is a lot of room for error considering the thermal transfer properties of the hose, and emissivisity accuracy issues with laser temp guns, depending on the surface you are measuring. Either way, it seems like you have a great functional system, nice job.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Okiephillip
Advanced

Fabrik8r,

So you saying after the oil goes though the heads then leaves the engine via rubber hose and makes a 90 degree into the transmission it goes back into the engine and not drain down into the oil pain?

My research shows the upper hose is oil from the heads and the lower hose is oil from the low end both drain down through the transmission into the oil pain. The oil from the upper supplies oil to the guard cooler then returns to transmission and then mixes with the other oil in the tank.

Phillip

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Fabrik8r,

So you saying after the oil goes though the heads then leaves the engine via rubber hose and makes a 90 degree into the transmission it goes back into the engine and not drain down into the oil pain?

My research shows the upper hose is oil from the heads and the lower hose is oil from the low end both drain down through the transmission into the oil pain. The oil from the upper supplies oil to the guard cooler then returns to transmission and then mixes with the other oil in the tank.

Phillip
Sorry Bro, I don't think I'm following exactly where you were measuring temp. There are three hoses between the trans and the engine in your model year. There are two 90 degree bend hoses about 3-4 inches long hidden behind the small double hump cover between the engine and transmission. In the pic my cover is in place. The little double hump cover was prior to 07, not sure about the '06 96" Dynas, 07 up eliminated the supply and return rubber hoses between the eng/trans, the ports are cast into the cases.The upper hose is the return, the lower hose is the pick up, the hose from below the rear lifter block that runs back to beside the oil filler cap is a vent line. Did you have the small hose cover removed from between the engine and trans, measuring the top hose, or were you measuring the 10" vent hose that comes from below the rear lifter block and runs along the top of the trans until it connects to the side of the filler neck. I'll wait to see what you say but if you got return temps of 164F, then you got a pan temp of about 150F, given the riding conditions you qouted I don't se how that is possible. At first I thought you were measuring the cold side hose from the crashbar, but now I'm thinking you were measuring the vent line between the motor and trans.

Attached Thumbnails  Engine crash bar as oil cooler?-100_1052.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Okiephillip
Advanced

I was take measurements from the black return line where it connects the the engine guard. Chrome temps bounce all over the place. I could take the double hump cover off and take some reading at that location and try to get a temp for the oil pan too.

I thought the temps from the first IR lazer thermometer were to good to be true too. So I bought a second IR Laser thermometer pistol both lazers match sometimes other time they are 3 degrees off from each other.

Thanks for the correction I was off base.

Quick Reply: Engine crash bar as oil cooler?