Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MILES TO RESERVE ON ODOMETER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 AM
profinish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MILES TO RESERVE ON ODOMETER QUESTION

I didn't know my bike had this feature... how does it work?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
munch34m
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MILES TO RESERVE ON ODOMETER QUESTION

That makes 2 of us!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 AM
NorCalrider
Advanced

I believe that comment was posted by someone who had an earlier carburated bike whichhas a fuel petcock with a reserve position. My fuel injected 07 only has a low fuel light which took some getting used to but at my age when the low fuel light comes on (early) I'm ready to get off and walk around anyhow. I guess if you make a record of how many gallons your bike takes when the light comes on you would have a better idea of how much fuel you have in reserve. Clearly this could be differentfor different kinds of riding.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i was told you have under 1 gallon left when the light comes on. So about 25-35miles before empty

Old 03-08-2008, 11:31 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I got the LED fuel gauge installed on mine, and it disabled the low fuel light on the dash, but it turns red for low fuel, and flashes red for really low fuel (1 gallon or so). First time they went off, I immediately filled up the bike at the first gas station, just to see where the trigger point was as I heard they all trigger at slightly different points. I did the math (5galminus fillup) and and determined the exact points, and honestly I don't remember the points, I just remember the solid red I still have almost 2 gallons, and flashing red I have under 1 gallon. I'd pull over to fill up when it goes on and see how much it takes.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
thall
Road Master

I ran mine til the light came on then filled it up had 1 gal. left so how far can you go on a gal.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he is refering to the "countdown" till empty feature on the 08's.
It comes on in the Odometer window when the bike hits "reserve" and counts down the miles till empty.
The "reserve" amount is based on the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank being accurate and supposedly with about a gallon being left in the tank. The ECM then computes the miles till empty based on how the bike is being ridden. The miles till empty numbers can/will change based on the ECM calculations of how the bike is being ridden, ie...full throttle, speed or load.
It is in no way exact but something better than trying to track mileage and fuel usage when the little gas pump light comes on or on carbed bikes when you move the petcock to reserve and trying to find gas. Just makes you feel a little better and no math calculations in your head.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: thall

I ran mine til the light came on then filled it up had 1 gal. left so how far can you go on a gal.
Depends on how hard yer riding it...

65 on a super slab all day or 90 all day quite a difference in fuel consumption..

redlight to redlight racing all yer bud's to strokers / cruising with mama to get dinner out the old farm to market roads.

you probably have 35 to 40 miles on a gallon cruising conservatively before yer pushin yer sled to a station.

25 to 35 riding it like ya stole it.

99%r