Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Federal noise emission standards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
timbo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Federal noise emission standards

When the day comes and I can no longer modify my Harley's engine or run my Rinehart pipes I'll be buying a BMW. My only question is what do I do with all my Harley t-shirts and leather jackets?

I sure hope it does't come to that. Hogs are pretty but.........................

Old 01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
BUBBA
Tourer

I bought the vance and Hinse Oval Slip ons and was planing on buying the true Dual Hope thats not going to be a problem in So Cal .

Was also thinking of trying the Screamin Eagle Slip ons there not as loud as the V&H Right ??

Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Danester
Road Master

what do I do with all my Harley t-shirts and leather jackets?
Timbo- - send'em my way - - I'll ride a stock HD if I have too...

Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is copied and pasted from VTF.. don't know if it's true, don't know the guy who posted it... but it doesn't sound good -

"The rumor is true regarding the discontinuation of the SE pipes in May. Word from the winter meeting to California dealers is as follows: this quest is an effort against noise pollution. Inspection station testing has been pushed to the side due to various issues including, cost of setting up the system state wide, cost of training and certifying personnel to properly inspect and the well known fact that riders will simply switch to their stock exhaust for the inspection and then revert back. California has decided to use their money to train LEO's to inspect pipes for the EPA stamp that comes on stock pipes from the factory. If it is not found, you will be issued a $10,000 fine and a court date. At the court date, the judge will grant you a dismissal in exchange for info regarding purchase and installation location of the pipes. They may then ask for your testimony once they have built up a case against dealer XYZ for violating the law that was always in effect. You will only be given one reprieve. Be warned, this is not a grandfather situation. It applies to all bikes not just 06..."

Just wonder how strict it will be enforced? I live in the sticks and doubt anyone will ever train the local LEOs, but you never know. I feel sorry for bikers in California.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to recent articles I've read most EPA Rules were put in effect in 1977 but not enforced
on motorcycles. While it's not expected to go to that extreme, thats where the time line starts.
Thats why your screamin eagle exhaust systems are marked for race only.

I have to wonder about police jurisdiction in enforcing EPA Rules. In Ohio, in the past, local officers
& state police did not have the authority to enforce EPA Laws. What will happen is the cities & states
will pass similar laws that can be enforced.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:48 PM
f35099
Intermediate

There are Federal noise emissions standards

The Noise Control Act directed EPA to
set and enforce noise standards for transportation, construction, and electrical equipment,
and motors or engines.14 Under this authority, EPA established standards for motorcycles
and mopeds, medium and heavy-duty trucks over 10,000 pounds, and portable air
compressors. The standards for motorcycles only apply to those manufactured after 1982
and range from 80 to 86 dbA, depending on the model year and whether the motorcycle
is designed for street or off-road use.

See 40 Code of Federal Regulations 205, Subparts D and E for details

Note that tampering with the exhaust system is a violation of Federal law under these regulations. There are quite
specific details on the labeling of the exhaust system that would allow officials to easily check if you don't have approved
mufflers on the motorcycle.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:09 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thundercloud I'm with you, I have some jack a@@ that lives by me that rides some wana be Honda with loud pipes, and he rips down my street everyday in the summer. This spring him and I are going to have a talk.[sm=bicker.gif]

Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This has me thinking.........

When I purchased my RK in Dec of last year, along with the SE big bore kit, I also ordered the SE slip-ons with the billet ends. The slip-ons where big money and not noticable louder than the stock mufflers. I told the dealership to take them off and recieved a refund check for a few dollars less than $500.00! ( The finance paperwork was already sent thru......the check made the first 2 payments)

So I wonder if that what was up with those pipes?

Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Fatboy767

Just want to know, if anyone has any info on this. Today I called the HD dealer to find out about changing my mufflers from V&H to Rinehart’s looking for a louder sound. He said I should hold off. I’m in NYC and the cops are cracking down on loud pipes. Last year was handle bars and non DOT helmets. Now it’s federal noise emission for motorcycles and exhaust. Basically anything not stock is in question. Anyone had any problems?[IMG][/IMG][sm=feedback.gif]
What kind of silencers is NYC putting on jackhammers and other construction equipment?

Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in law enforcement (Traffic Div) here in Jersey. States cannot enforce DEP or DOT regulations, with the exception of heavy truck enforcement. But what does happen is this. If the Feds want something enforced they "encourage" individual states to adopt laws mimicking the Federal regulations. If the states fail to do this, the Feds then threaten to cut Federal Financial Aid for Highway & Transportation Funding. This has been done with the .08% BAC DUI Laws, Primary Seatbelt Laws, and numerous other laws and acts. You have to remember this though, about half of my fellow lawmen are bikers, and ninety-nine percent of them ride hogs. We write, or don't write the tickets, not Congress.

Quick Reply: Federal noise emission standards