Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chubby's 518 Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chubby's 518 Handlebars

Ok,after spending many hours talking about handlebars formy 97 Road King on this forum,I finally purchased/ordered the Chubby 518s from a local dealership today; Iasked the sales rep. aboutordering braided stainless steel cables according to the Chubby's cable (deminision) chart and he told me that it would be best to measure for cables after the handlebars were setting on the bike. He's probably right, but would like to hear from those of you who've installed these handlebars as to what size cables to install.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Chubby's 518 Handlebars

Put a set on my son's RK a couple of years ago and I think we went +3

Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

I used the Wild 1 website and and Magnum Sterling's site. I believe clutch was stock length, and the throttle and idle were both +2". I can't remember on the brakes I think I went with +2" on those as well. Here are a few sites that Helped me.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1328001/tm.htm

http://www.magnumshielding.com/throttle_idle_cables.htm(Down and to the left, you can search for cables by bike model)

http://www.wild1inc.com/rktechtips.html(Tech section of Wild1, Here they tell you what you need for lengths)

I hope this helps. You will love the new bars.

Jeff

Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer

Thanks guys, you won't have to deal withanymore of my questionsabout handlebars, just need to get the right size cables and I'll be good to go; hope to get braided stainless steel with the non yellowing clear vinyl coverings.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ran a set on a Road King since 1997. When I bought the 99 I switched the whole handlebar assembly over to the new bike. You "may" get by with no extended cables. That is my case. I use stock lengths and only had to straighten out the bend in the brake line to make it fit. You won't be wrong going with 2-4" extended cables. 2" will definitely do the trick but anything in that range will fit.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Grits
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Postsome pics when you're done. I am thinking about the same for my RKC but would like some inspiration in the form of a pic to help me decide. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I have the 518's on my Heritage. I like them. I internally wired them. I kept all my stock cables.
The brake line was a bit of a stretch, but works fine.

Funny about Harley's choices on handlebars. The Heritage bars suck on the Heritage, but they're perfect for a Roadking or Road Glide(I'm told) I have ridden a police issue RK with them. They were just right.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:29 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put 518's on my 06 r-k.. with all stock cables, had to staighten out the frt brake line just a tad close to the master .. also i released the throttle cables from there clamp at the steering neck just to free up a little.. no problems at all ..except i broke the front brake switch..typical rookie move i'm told

Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
gdkenoyer
Tourer

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

The Heritage bars suck on the Heritage, but they're perfect for a Roadking or Road Glide(I'm told)
Better, yes, but for many of us, still far from perfect!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 AM
heavy K
Cruiser

i have the 518's on my 07 road king i went with plus 4". the cables lay quite nicley. after i got the whole job done i hand bent the brake line and after looking at it for about ten minutes i went and got the ss braided lines for that as well. that was a huge improvement over the ugly black metal tubbing and rubber lines. the bars are awesome, super comfortable for long rides.

Quick Reply: Chubby's 518 Handlebars