Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chubby's 518 Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chubby's 518 Handlebars

Heavy K,
Thanks for the info.; did you go with plus 4" for all of your cables including the brake? There are many brands of cables to choose from; did you go with Harleycables oranother brand?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:41 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

ORIGINAL: gdkenoyer

ORIGINAL: byersmtrco

The Heritage bars suck on the Heritage, but they're perfect for a Roadking or Road Glide(I'm told)
Better, yes, but for many of us, still far from perfect!
What is good for the RG? DWG bars? prob depends on riders height and all. Just sat on a RoadGlide at the dealer a few days ago. Out of the box they are just not comfortable. I know it's all easy adjustments, but does Harley think just gorilla's buy these things? I'm 6.0, a guy bigger than me sat on the same bike, he was leaning fwd too. I like the looks of the Heritage bars on the RoadGlide. They fit that style.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer

I know many Road King owners have the Heritage Classic Bars, (including myself)they're comfortable, but I don't seem to have as much control or balance on slow speed or sharp turns as I did with the stock bars. I hope switching to the 518 handlebars will give me the comfort, contol and balance that I'm looking for.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

On the throttle and idle I went +2 but shoulda went +4, clutch stock lengtth, brake +4

Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer

Picked up my new Chubby 518s from the dealership today and they do look wide, but hopefully they'll give me the comfort and control I'm looking for. The dealership had an 04 Road King Custom setting on the showroom floor and out of curosity I set on it and held the 518s next to the stock beach bars; they were similar in size and shape, but the bends on the 518s were a little sharper and they kicked out more at the end of the bars. Anyone here ever have the Road King Custom bars and switch to the Chubby 518s?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

When the indy installed the 518's on my RKC he ordered the +2" cables...they all fit very well.

Enjoy them.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just finished my 518 install and haven't had time to get any pics, but I will soon. I went with the Magnum chromites and love the look. + 3 on the throttles and + 4 on the brake line. Clutch standard. Extended the wiring 6 inches, but wish I would have went 7. Chrome switch housings,levers,buttons and master cylinder. Switch housings are challanging but look great when done.
I've only got to ride once since the install due to weather, but man I love the feel and look of the chubby 518's. My hands just seem to fall into place with these bars.( my third set ).
Any questions about the install feel free to send me a P.M.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM
billybobsrk
Tourer

Friend of mine isdoing the 518 install and is going to temporarly mount the bars to get the cable measurements; I seethere are many opinions on cable lengths anddo appreciate all of your input. I would like to install a set of stainless steelbraided cables and want a quality set with the non yellowing vinyl sleeve cover; would like to hear some opinions on different types of cables.
Thanks again for all of your posts and information concerning this install, it's much appreciated.

Bill B.
Frederick, Md.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM
heavy K
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: billybobsrk

Heavy K,
Thanks for the info.; did you go with plus 4" for all of your cables including the brake? There are many brands of cables to choose from; did you go with Harleycables oranother brand?
i went with the numbers supplied by chubby that came with their instructions...harley did not make the lengths i needed for the 07 so i went with an after market company in southern n.h.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post has set my mind at ease. I've been in a constant battle with myself whether to go with the 508's or 518's. Finally spoke with a tech from Wild 1 and he suggested the 518's for my size. Another member here suggested looking over at http://www.johnnyvaughn.com for what I needed. It looks like they could be the way to go. Good price on the bars and they have the complete kits for cables, lines and wiring extensions.

I had spent a good bit of time on the Harley site and catalog and couldn't find what I was exactly looking for in the extended sizes. Johnny Vaughn also uses the same lines and cable manufacturers that the Wild 1 tech spoke of; Barnett for the cabling and Goodridge for the brake lines.

Brian

Quick Reply: Chubby's 518 Handlebars