Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taller Windshield For SG

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Taller Windshield For SG

I just picked up my SG Saturday and want to get a taller windshield for it. Ebay has many sizes and different tint levels to choose from. I would like some input on what height works well and what tint (dark smoke, light smoke, clear ) would be best. I think a dark tinted windshield would look good but I wonder how it would be in low light conditions. I am 6'1" and want to go just high enough to keep out of the wind. Thank you in advance for your input.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Taller Windshield For SG

I have a few different size shields, 12", 8", 4" and 8" Aero.
the one that keeps me out of the wind is the HD 12" shield. The 4" is useless and the 8" allows the wind to hit around your eyes. I'm 6' tall.
Just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a SG, Im 6'1", and I insist on looking OVER (not through) my windshields. I have tried several heights, several brands, as well as a "recurve" style.

I like the 8" Fastair (non-recurve) the best.

I tried an 8" recurve, and although I think it does kick the wind up 1-2 inches, at the same time I feel it creates MORE turbulence in doing so. I know lots of guys swear by them, but I was happier with a non-recurve.

I think a 9" would also work for me, and I once had a stocker that I cut down to 10", but I could BARELY see over it. I was gonna cut it down further, but traded the bike in before doing so.

Remember you can always cut a taller one down (its REALLY not hard) but you cant add to one thats too short.

So I would recommend an 8-10 inch.

The Fastairs are inexpensive, so your not out as much money if you dont like it, as with others. The trade off is that you have to be more careful in washing them, as they are NOT scratch resistant like HDs and some of the more expensive brands. But I have not had any problems with scratches. Im just careful when I wash it to use plenty of water and a soft cloth. Besides, since I insist on looking OVER the shield, a few minor scratches are not as big a problem as they would be if I was looking THROUGH the shield. The Fastairs are also not "formed" like other brands (another reason for the lower price) they are basically a flat sheet that you simply bend to fit onto the bike. Its a little off-putting at first, but again, has not proven to be a problem in my case. Nor has any distortion, as I am not really looking though it.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

For about 20 bucks a pop I am just going to try a few. Think mine is 5 1/2"and I get buffeting, but I am about 5'6"

Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 PM
marc52454
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be carefull on e-bay a lot are just acrylic not polycarbonate.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 AM
SeadogCVA43
Advanced

I'm 6'1" and for my 07 SG I bought HD's 11.5" clear.
Allows me to look over and still stay outa the rain.
My RoadKing w/ the stock w/s worked out the same.
Ggo sit on one of them at a dealer, see how it fits you.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Dark tint are for 6 inch and under, give or take. Light tint you can get away with any height.
Do a search, all kinds of info. Harley's are one of themore expensive shieldsbut are the best in fit and material. They are the only one I know of made ofLexan, no distortion, drop in fitand harder to scratch.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a good guide for choosing your height.
http://www.fastaire.com/Measurement.html
I'm 5'8" and the 8" is just about perfect for me.
The 9" was just about in the middle of my vision.
I'm short torso and long legs (hows that for a visual), so these may be a bit short for you.
I tried a couple of Fastaire shields and went with a clearview when I found the right height.
Not a fan of tinted shields , so I'd go with clear or the lightest tint that would make you happy.
Mick

Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I am 5' 9" with a 32" inseam. The stock windshield to me was worse than no windshield at all. I bought the fast aire 8" and 10". The 10" gave me great wind protection, but I was looking half through an half over it. The 8" gives me better visibility, but less wind protection. The airflow hits me in my forehead with the 8". I ordered an 8" clearview with a recurve. I am hoping that it will push the air the extra inch or two above my forehead and the visibility should be the same.

Dennis

Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM
quackhead
Road Master

i have one of these and really like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Taller Windshield For SG