Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on swapping to 06 spoked rims on an 08 SG

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
captsam54
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on swapping to 06 spoked rims on an 08 SG

I have an 08 SG with the slotted disc rims etc. Standard, brembo brakes etc. I just acquired a set of 9 spoke black powder coated rims w/Avon's on them. I want to switch out..

Couple of questions before I get started... Will it all match up?? Brake rotors size and width etc.
I hear there are some differences in spacers between older bikes and the o8 ft. axle/tire ??

Any help would be appreciated before I get it apart and find a problem..!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/50870/B1A6AAACE46E4FDB80308215F4DD6B26.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 852 Likes on 295 Posts
Default RE: Question on swapping to 06 spoked rims on an 08 SG

I will also be waiting to hear that answer.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to swap out the wheel bearings, the rotors will bolt right up the cush drive will also bolt right up.Buy a set of bearings for your bike,have the bearings pulled out of your wheelsto get the spacers (center and one behind the primary side bearing) to use in yor new wheels. If you have ABS there is a specificprimary side bearing that must be installed the correct direction.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:18 PM
captsam54
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogdoc

You will have to swap out the wheel bearings, the rotors will bolt right up the cush drive will also bolt right up.Buy a set of bearings for your bike,have the bearings pulled out of your wheelsto get the spacers (center and one behind the primary side bearing) to use in yor new wheels. If you have ABS there is a specificprimary side bearing that must be installed the correct direction.
Thanks.HogDoc..!!
Question. I just had new bearings put in the new wheels.. I need to pull them back out and switch the spacers inside from my disc rims..?
Anybody have a scematic or blow up of this? So I can see where the spacers are and where they are supposed go back in? I don't have the 08 manual.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: captsam54

ORIGINAL: hogdoc

Thanks.HogDoc..!!
Question. I just had new bearings put in the new wheels.. I need to pull them back out and switch the spacers inside from my disc rims..?
Anybody have a scematic or blow up of this? So I can see where the spacers are and where they are supposed go back in? I don't have the 08 manual.

Yes you will have to pull them again, but DO NOT reuse them. The '08 wheel has a spacer behind the primary brg, ( on the front its the left on the rear its the right) its about an 1/8" thick. Install primary side brg first, with the spacer behind it, then install the '08 center spacer and then the other brg. Make sure what your using to push the brg's in only pushes on the outer race clean the bore andbrg and very lightly oil the od of the brg