Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogtunes amp review

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default RE: Hogtunes amp review

Great review. I am running a two amp system on my bike. I have the Hogtunes amp installed in the fairing to power up the rear speaker pods and a Hawg Wired amp also installed in the fairing to run the juice to my Hawg Wired speakers up front. Twas a challenge to get them both working together thru one harness but in the end, now the system rocks.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent write up and thanks for using paragraphs makes soo much easier to read!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:31 AM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick
I'll email Pez, but I assume it'll require four 4Ω speakers wired in parallel. Also, does the install require any permanent mods like drilling?
Yes a 3/8" hole under the knee cap for the Lower Fairing (each Lower, it's for the wiring to go in).
It's hidden and Pez supplies some goopy stuff to seal it.
As for speaker Ohm. Well I had a set of Hogtune 2 ohm in the Upper fairing and sold them HERE.
I wanted to use the amp to power them as well as the Lower's because I usually take off the
Lower's in the Summer. So I have 4 ohm speakers in the front (top & bottom) and 2 ohm Hogtunes
in the rear pods.

Would you say it is worth it over the two HT speakers and amp?
I think so ...... But then again I like riding like I am at a concert ..... LOL .....
Went riding yesterday with the Wife (she rides a SG) and she said she though people
were going to come after me because it was LOUD. Hey atleast they can't complain
about my pipes .... LMAO ....

Here are 2 clips from YouTube.
One is my 1998 (red bike) with 4 hogtune speakers & the HD factory amp under the tour pak.
The other is my 07 Ultra with Pez's amp and SIX speakers.
Both videos where done with a digital camera that does video and also
what you hear is WHAT the radios are playing. The music IS NOT dubbed it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WK24WEEK7...eature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DE5u33j5fZA

Rob .....

Oh ya ... I forgot to mention .....
I sold my 1998 to buy the 07 and my buddy that bought it said
that the tunes WAS one of the things that made him buy it.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 AM
scooby doo
Tourer

Excellent review brother. I was on the fence about thewhole amp thing. I've got the hogtunes upfront now but wanted alittle more. I'm no wrench but I'm sure I'll be able to figure out running the wires now without smashing something in the shop thanks to your review.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review. I think I'll pull the trigger on an amp now. Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Problems, problems

This is a follow-up on my initial review and later comments. First, I still feel the amp is a worthwhile upgrade that provides much better sound quality to Hogtunes speakers. But I've had problems with the amp ever since the beginning.

The first amp would sporadically loose its right speaker output, although not often. The problem turned out to be the gain switch on the left side (when mounted) that allows selection of -3, 0, and +3 gain control. Pez was right on the problem and sent out another unit pronto, and I returned the first unit after receiving the second. The second unit performed flawlessly until about a month ago, and this time the left speaker began cutting out, and only when the bike was first started. It's only happened five times in about a month, but Saturday night I rode home from a friend's house and the left speaker stayed off for about 15 min., coming back on just before I arrived home.

The next morning I turned on the stereo and the left speaker was out again. I removed the fairing cap once again and the left speaker came back on after I just touched the gain switch with the small screwdriver. So, that is the problem again, and just slightly moving it will cause the left speaker to cut out. After some repeated toggling it seemed to be stabilizing, but this happened the first time and it didn't hold.

I emailed Pez with a list of options I felt were appropriate, including (1) receiving another unit with a different switch design, (2) another unit with the switch disabled and permanently set to +3 (default), (3) instructions on which wires to solder for DIY as per #2, and lastly (4) return it for a refund. The last is not the best for me, as the amp makes enough difference for me not to want to go back to the original setup (stock head unit with Hogtunes speakers). OTOH if I have to return it I'll find another somewhere, as I don't think I can go back to the sound of the stock head unit. I'm spoiled by now.

I haven't heard of anyone else having these problems, so my case may be an anomaly. I'll post here the outcome and I'm sure Pez will rise to the occasion and do the right thing.
Anyone else having these problems?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
johnnyspeed
Cruiser
Default RE: Problems, problems

Maybe they got a bad run of switches at the factory.
Ihave had the amp and speakers in for the last 20,000 miles without a problem one.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: johnnyspeed

Maybe they got a bad run of switches at the factory.
Ihave had the amp and speakers in for the last 20,000 miles without a problem one.
That's kind of what I'm thinking, as the second unit came in about two weeks after the first--so it may be part of the same batch. I still would rather not have the same switch design, though, and would prefer just having their techs bypass it totally. I'm sure I'll never want the gain set below +3 anyway.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

I haven't heard of anyone else having these problems, so my case may be an anomaly.
I'll post here the outcome and I'm sure Pez will rise to the occasion and do the right thing.
Anyone else having these problems?
iclick ....
Funny you mentioning that happening. I will have to keep an EAR on mine .... LOL ....
When I first installed mine and BEFORE I put the fairing back on the sound DID cut out
and I thought I blew a fuse. I jiggled the all the wires and then it worked. I though I
just didn't plug one of the connectors in right. Other than that I now have almost
1000 miles (even on some frost heave roads here in NH) and everything is fine.
And your right ..... I too am SPOILED with the new sound ! !
I see people all the time now HUNDREDS of feet ahead of me turning their heads
to see me comming down the road with my music and give me the thumbs up.LMAO ....
Just yesterday I was comming through a Town Forest by me where people picnic
and as I passed a few sites by the road the teens (or early twenty's) started
grooving to the tunes as I rode by ;-)
Rob ....

F.Y.I.
I set mine to +3 from the start.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: robandlyn

Here are 2 clips from YouTube.
One is my 1998 (red bike) with 4 hogtune speakers & the HD factory amp under the tour pak.
The other is my 07 Ultra with Pez's amp and SIX speakers.
Both videos where done with a digital camera that does video and also
what you hear is WHAT the radios are playing. The music IS NOT dubbed it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WK24WEEK7...eature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DE5u33j5fZA
[sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]That's freakin LOUD!!!! LOL @ your '07 Ultra being heard in 10 states from you....... Excellent choices of tunes to show both setups off.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Hogtunes amp review