Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

laptop on the tour pack...???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
sanaga
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laptop on the tour pack...???

hi guys....
in the next 2 weeks, i have a plan to ride a 1000km trip....i think i need to bring my laptop on the trip...so i can keep reading this forum wherever i am...
But i worry about my laptop, is it safe to put in the tour pack..?? or safer on the saddle box..???
the thing i worry is the vibration and shock from the bike when pass bad road......will it damage my laptop..??
please anyone have ride long trip and bring their laptop, please suggest me....

thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
99igor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: laptop on the tour pack...???

I have taken one laptop on a long ride. It was in my trailer. It did not work out too well. However if you wrap it well with bubble wrap it should be ok in the tour pak.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

I carry mine, put it a protective sleve, padded ones and then in a laptop case...never had any problems, not to say that you can't.....
I went on eBay and bought a used Dell, 12" screen, small and easy to carry, plus, I don't have a lot invested, so if it gets damaged or stolen, I'm not out a lot of money...I only use it for travel, not a lot of programs on it....XP pro, internet, mapsource for the GPS, office pro.....has wireless card for hotel/motel use........
check it out, only cost me $200.00

Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you ahve a laptop case wehn transporting i around localy?
If it is a padded case it should give you enogh protection from any bumps....just dont try and jump the fountains at Ceasars Palace and youshould be ok.
I road with my laptop for 500 miles last summer and no problems, but then again anything can happen.
Just my .02worth.
Rob

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
jahays32
Tourer

I carry my dell in the saddle bag liner all the time. No problem so far. I would not want it in the tour pack since it could move around more

Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I rode for 21 days last year with my laptop in the tourpack . Just make sure you turn off the computer so the hard drive is parked. I put it in a plastic bag incase of a leak and shoved it betweek my clothing so it would notcontact the tour pack directly. Worked just fine.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 914 Likes on 429 Posts

I always take a laptop on long trips. I just put it in the bottom of the tour pak, and that's it. No problems.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a daily commuter and the tour pack is the only place I keep it. Been doing this for years and haven't had a problem.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Tab
Novice

I always takea laptop along on long rides, never had a problem. I usually carry it wrapped in clothing in my saddle bag insert. Had it along last year on a 6000 km trip to Sturgis and back. Most hotels have net services and it's great to google your route for the next day or look up attractions and directions for areas that you travel through.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Jim W
Novice

I've been carrying the same laptop for 4 years in my saddlebag on a 10 mile commute 5 days a week. At first I used to worry about it but that respect quickly wore out. I wish this old thing would break so the company would buy me a new one.

Quick Reply: laptop on the tour pack...???