Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police & Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Police & Harleys

Colorado State Patrol puts over 50,000 miles on thier bikes and spends the absolute minimun they can get away with, and they get BEAT. Broken belts seem to be thier biggest problem. Cant seem to pull people over fast enough!
What brand of motorcycle?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Our local PD's here seem to be going with the Honda's and BMW's... Though the Sheriff's Dept here use H-D's or did until recently. They had a great program for cities. If I remember right $300 a month for a bike and that included all maintenance. Not quite the $1 a year deal but then again might come out ahead if maintenance was included?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM
prc1333
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Reply to Message]
Baltimore City nd County use Harleys' exclusively. They wouldn't ride anything else. I have spoken to quite a few officers and they have quite a crew of mechanics that see the bikes are always perfect.

I also just saw the Washington DC officer bikes, they have side cars. Don't know if that is just Metro or if they al do, but they sure look great.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

During the lean years of HD, it was outlaws and police that seemed to have kept the MOCO in business. I know the MOCO hasn't shown apreciation to the outlaws how are they treating the po po?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 AM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denver police recently switched to BMW's. However, a lot of the other law enforcement agencies in Colorado are still on Harleys. When I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago there were several Adams County officers there to pick up their new bikes. They were pretty excited about it.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Neckball

Colorado State Patrol puts over 50,000 miles on thier bikes and spends the absolute minimun they can get away with, and they get BEAT. Broken belts seem to be thier biggest problem. Cant seem to pull people over fast enough!
What brand of motorcycle?
Sorry since Iam a Harley mechanic I assumed everybody would know I was speaking of Harleys

Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Victoria Police on Vancovuer Island has a fleet of St1300 Hondas.
The biggest problem they have is jumping curbs, seems the belly pan doesnt stand up to the curb very well.
The the suburb where I live the RCMP use HD and the Vancovuer PD have HD as well.
my .02 worth.
Rob

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mtclassic

We have always had the $1 a year lease with Harley but this year they stopped the $1 a year lease and would only give us 3 bikes on the old program and told us that this was the last year they would do it period. We had to put the rest out to bids and Honda came in the cheapest by far. ~13,000, Harely was ~15K and bmw was ~19K. So now we have a mix of harley's and Hondas until next year. Hopefully Harley will step up and win the bid back but I doubt if they will. It used to be a good deal for the dealership to do the $1 a year because thepolice bikes did not go towards thier allotment of bikes but now with the glut of harleys on the floor they can not sell what they have so no benifit to the dealers.

The Honda's out perform the Harley in braking, handling and get up and go but they are not as comfortable and do not look nearly as nice (my opinion) and are not precieved nearly as well by the public.

I have been on HD motors for a long time and since they became twin cams I have never had a major issue. The 07 starters sounded like hell but did not completely fail. Never broke a belt yet. I already miss that nice harley seat.LOL
Thats great that you saved 2k per bike up front but what is the resale of used Honda Police bikes? Next to nothing! Fremont Ca used to use Kawi's because they were cheaper to buy up front. Maintenance and upkeep turned out to be the same as HD but resale...who wants an ex-Kawi or Honda cop bike. They couldnt give them away. They switched to Harley in the '90's put 12-15000 miles on them a year and sell them all off for $12-$15,000. And it may only be important to some people and cities but all thier police cars have license plate frames the say "Fremont California an all American City"!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
reeac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only seen Honda's here in San Antonio Tx.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: caymen8

Denver police recently switched to BMW's. However, a lot of the other law enforcement agencies in Colorado are still on Harleys. When I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago there were several Adams County officers there to pick up their new bikes. They were pretty excited about it.
Denver? Thats funny becasue they just placed an order for more 2008Harleysin Luxury Blue to match their other Harley's.
and Adams County is new, just starting thier unit up with H-D of course.

Quick Reply: Police & Harleys