Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police & Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Police & Harleys

Several local PDs around here lease them for $1/year, so I guess they're not complaining too much.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 AM
morespeed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sylvania PD uses Harleys and they all love em.Most of the guys ride Harleys at home to.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have used HD in the city of Pittsburgh for 98 years... love em... got a bunch of new EG's on the way with abs... cant wait to see how the abs really is...

Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was a motor cop, I would vote for the BMW. Harleys just get too hot particularly in urban environments.

The Beemer is also better at interstate speeds-much better weather protection.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

We have always had the $1 a year lease with Harley but this year they stopped the $1 a year lease and would only give us 3 bikes on the old program and told us that this was the last year they would do it period. We had to put the rest out to bids and Honda came in the cheapest by far. ~13,000, Harely was ~15K and bmw was ~19K. So now we have a mix of harley's and Hondas until next year. Hopefully Harley will step up and win the bid back but I doubt if they will. It used to be a good deal for the dealership to do the $1 a year because thepolice bikes did not go towards thier allotment of bikes but now with the glut of harleys on the floor they can not sell what they have so no benifit to the dealers.

The Honda's out perform the Harley in braking, handling and get up and go but they are not as comfortable and do not look nearly as nice (my opinion) and are not precieved nearly as well by the public.

I have been on HD motors for a long time and since they became twin cams I have never had a major issue. The 07 starters sounded like hell but did not completely fail. Never broke a belt yet. I already miss that nice harley seat.LOL

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Mostcities in Illinois use Harleys.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:16 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

BMW is probably a better bike, they are pretty expensive. But does anyone have an issue with them spending tax money to buy foriegn over domestic? BMW makes a better seden than a Crown Vic but wouldn't there be more voter outrage if the police started cruisin in high end BMWs?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
vettedog72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 9.6 compression ratio on the '07's may have been just too much for the starter. Harley's recall to exchange the heads with new ones fitted with auto compression reliefs must have come too late for some.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

It's my understanding that the Harley Police Bike comes with a little higher compression motor (piston change only)thus causing the starter to work harder to crank the bike. This is what I have read on this site. Damn shame that Moco doesn't add the higher amp starter too. Go figure....it's all about replacement parts. Some dealers will tell you that is more than half of their profit to stay in business.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

NYPD used Harleys, hot and problematic but still a sight to see when the President comes to town. ALSO after 9/11 HD donated almost 100 HDS to us

Quick Reply: Police & Harleys