Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire and brakes...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear tire and brakes...any tips?

I will be replacing my rear tire, and while I'm at it doing the rear brakes, on my 05 RK. Already havethe new tire in as well asa pair ofLyndall brake pads. I will be having the tire mounted and balanced professionally. Haven't done this one yet. Anyone have any tips to make it go easy? I have read the service manual and it seems pretty straight forward.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Default RE: Rear tire and brakes...any tips?

brakes are fairly easy. you do need a 12 point socket (I forget the size) for the guide pins and a good stiff putty knife or something to compress the pistons. That said if you are having the rear tire replaced by someone else it only takes a minute with the rear tire off. if I dont want mine changed I have to tell my tire guy to leave it alone or he will put a set on during the tire chainge if they look worn.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Bill918
Road Captain

I guess I wasn't too clear. I'm pulling the rear wheel and bringing it to have the tire mounted and balanced. WhenI do car brakes I usually put that blue anti-squeel crap between the pads and the caliper. Does this hold true for bike brakes? How about aligning the axle when done. Somebody told me just to mark the location of the adjuster cam before removing the rear wheel and put it back in the same location. Does this seem right?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

Sorry never done it with the tire off. when I change my tire there is a motorcycle only tire shop near work so I let him pull it andeverything. when I change my pads at home there isnt anyway to use the anti squeal compound due to the way the pads are removed and installed .

Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Bill918
Road Captain

Thanks sporty

Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

for your bike go here. If you need more help please call me toll free but I live in EST (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) ...H Glad to help!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill918

I guess I wasn't too clear. I'm pulling the rear wheel and bringing it to have the tire mounted and balanced. WhenI do car brakes I usually put that blue anti-squeel crap between the pads and the caliper. Does this hold true for bike brakes? How about aligning the axle when done. Somebody told me just to mark the location of the adjuster cam before removing the rear wheel and put it back in the same location. Does this seem right?
Bill:

Before removing the axle, I taketwo short pieces of masking tape and draw a straight line onboth using a Sharpie and straight edge. Place these on the swingarm and let it overlap across the adjuster cam on both sides of the axle.The line on the tape will be horizontal to your work floor. Once the tape is pressed down and secure on both surfaces, take a razor blade or very sharp knife and cut the tape/line vertically right where the adjuster meets theweld nubon the swingarm. Once you replace the axle and line up these reference points, your axle alignment will be, for all practical purposes, right back in it's original position. Just be sure and use the Service Manual for checking the adjustment of the drive belt and proper torques/procedures.

Also, follow the Service Manual for replacing the brake pads. Lyndall does not recommend applying any "anti-squeel" or lubricant to there pads during installation. Install them dry!

Good luck!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]