Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remapping not necessary

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Buddha64
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapping not necessary

In the April issue of American Iron there is an article about bolting on 10 HP with an air cleaner change and mufflers. In the article they said with this change the ECM was capable of remapping on its own.

Does any body have any experience with this?

Would this only apply to the S&S system they were showcasing or would it work with any ac/muffler change?

BTW in the article also showed that the muffler change in this case did nothing for the HP but gave it a better sound. I'm sure different mufflers would have different results.

George.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Default RE: Remapping not necessary

I'm not sure if I would buy into the idea that the ECM remaps on its own. I know that you can change mufflers without a remap but you most like will experience some discoloration on the right side pipe. Adding the air cleaner I feel you have to do something because you now have a far less restrictive air flow over stock and you are bound to experience some negative affects in doing so.

But hey I ain't no mechanic either. I know just enough to get by.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Buddha64
Tourer

You know that was my thought also, but I don't know either. I started to get lost when cars and now motorcycles made the transition to these new fangled black boxes.

George

Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

I agree with you George. Motorized vehicles made allot more sense to me before the computer chip was added and fuel injection.

What makes me mad is I feel the idle is too low on my Ultra however I can not adjusted without dinking with the mapping. I've taken it back to my dealer 3 times complaining about this after I had themdo a stage 1 mapwhen Iadded dual headers and air cleaner. Every time they dink with it and within a few blocks of the dealer it starts dropping down close to 800 rpm's when I pull up to a stop light. When it idles at 800 rpm's the damn thing will shake the fillings out of your teeth.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I miss carbs!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM
BIGBADCANE
Advanced

I added the Rush Pipes with 2" baffles and the AC setup to me 08 Ultra and didn't remap. I haven't had any issues at all, but I was told that if I go with bigger baflles, I would have to. A friend of mine has the Rush with 2.5" baffles and he gets some decel popping, so maybe what they told me was correct.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remapping is not neccessary with some mufflers, those that are still somewhat restrictive. But as soon as you add any high flow filter or non restrictive/open muffler to it remappnig IS neccessary. Unless you dont mind running your motor at 16-17:1 and eventually melting it down from being to lean!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
TC96Man
Cruiser

I have an '07 SG and have not remapped the ECU. I have a high air flow air cleaner and a set of Rush slipons with the 2.5" baffles. I have not noticed any change in performance, butthe sound is awesome!! I am still able to attain the correct back pressureand have nice deep throaty rumble.

Thanks,

JB

Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
hogdoc
Banned

ORIGINAL: Geoff

I miss carbs!
No you dont EFI is soooo much better!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 AM
hogdoc
Banned

ORIGINAL: BIGBADCANE

I added the Rush Pipes with 2" baffles and the AC setup to me 08 Ultra and didn't remap. I haven't had any issues at all, but I was told that if I go with bigger baflles, I would have to. A friend of mine has the Rush with 2.5" baffles and he gets some decel popping, so maybe what they told me was correct.
Put it on a dyno and have the AFR checked it WILL BE WAY LEAN!

Quick Reply: Remapping not necessary