Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panic stop. OH SHIT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
envexed
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Panic stop. OH ****

Well it happened yesterday. I had my first panic stop on a harley. I had on a Honda in the past.
Car pulled out just in front of me on the access road and I had to panic stop. I guess I did a good job, the
front tire locked up , the bike dipped and it got kind of wobbley for a second. Didn't lock up the back . The
driver of the van saw me at the last second and I had already unlocked it and was making a hard left turn lean to miss
him if i could . Turned out to not be so close because he saw me and paniced stopped also and there were no other traffic in
the way any where else.
Results...........I pulled a mussle in my back and right arm, when I got to work my back and Arm hurt like hell.
I guess I manhandled the braking wobble and it yanked on my right arm. The van was coming from my right and I had to miss him
on the left.
I was content with my bright blue 07 Ultra, but now I want ABS

Tell me about ABS on a Harley. Is it both front and back? or just the rear only?
What about the fly by wire throttle on the new bikes? Other issues?

BE CAREFULL OUT THERE !

Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
UltraDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Panic stop. OH ****

Wow. Glad it turned out OK with only a pulled muscle. I'll bet your pucker factor was way up there.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
SG Mike
Road Master

Sorry to hear about your near accident!

I believe that the ABS is on both wheels. You can get more information about the system on www.harleydavidson.com

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:39 PM
seldyn1
Tourer

You might want to see the post below on adding ABS. Some think it is not worth the money and only needed for people with low riding skills. I happen to disagree and your example is the reason it has so much value. Glad you are o.k.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Sounds Like you did it the right way. Glad you missed him.
ABS is on both wheels also brembo brakes for 08. THEY ARE NOT LINKED. Not sure about 07. Go try to rent a abs bike and hitthe brakes ashard as you could imagineabout 30 to 40 mph. it will ratle? best explination I got for it, and stop quickley. I have tried mine out doing this but not on sand dirt or water yet. Anyone else try this on bad surface?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

ABS on mine is on both front and back. I know because I spent all day yesterday riding around Dallas. A car stopped short for no apparent reason and I grabbed the front brake and then hit the rear brake hard. I felt the pulsating of the ABS and the bike remained straight and I felt in full control. I am so glad I invested in ABS.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Jager
Cruiser

Congrats on getting through it ok, though it's unlikely you actually locked the front end. A locked front tire tucks almost instantly. But you're right, that's the exact thing that ABS is designed to prevent.

As others have mentioned, the HD ABS is both wheels, with separate control circuits. Works a peach.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

where would i found out about adding ABS to my 03 King?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Bluerose

ABS is the only reason I bought an '08 over an '06 (I was looking at used bikes). I panic stopped my Deluxe with a locked rear break sliding left. I did a good job at stoping but adding 100 lbs I figured I would really like ABS...Haven't really used it yet. Hope I don't have too.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer

fly by wire throttle - can't tell the difference between that and cables - very responsive -

Quick Reply: Panic stop. OH SHIT