Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panic stop. OH SHIT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 PM
envexed
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Panic stop. OH ****

ORIGINAL: biz44

ORIGINAL: Jager

Congrats on getting through it ok, though it's unlikely you actually locked the front end. A locked front tire tucks almost instantly. But you're right, that's the exact thing that ABS is designed to prevent.

As others have mentioned, the HD ABS is both wheels, with separate control circuits. Works a peach.
Exactly.....once you lock up the front, it is an almost instant slam dunk.....even quicker in the wet. Chances are the front end just dived down a bit, and gave the sensation of a lock-up.

Jaz and Biz ,
Yes, I locked it up. I skid the front tire. It happened so fast that I'm not so sure if or how hard I put on the rear brake. If I had to guess (I know I was there and did it, but I don't know bout the rear) I'll guess that I unlocked and leaned out and around the van before I got to push too hard on the pedal. When the front tire locked up the front of the bike dipped hard and swerved . I just reacted and did not think. I am glad it worked out ok. This guy I just read about that has practiced locking up the bike may have a good idea ( to prictice so your body will react accordingly ) I'm just gald that I didn't lock up the rear and let it go and have the bike high side flip me. Also my son wants a sprot bike, I told him no way in hell. If I were on a sprot bike I would have did one of them stoppie flip overs right in front of that van and gotten very hurt.
I'm supprised that I got pulled mussles in my back and arm. I must have been trying to turn/lean left at the same time as my right hand grabbed the brake hard. It must have yanked the right handle bar foward quick to hurt me as it did. I am also supprised at how squirrelly the bike got when the brake locked up . I don't know why but I kind thought that if the tire is sliding that is just slides straight. Thinks bout it I felt how hard the weight slammed down on the front and it must have bottomed out the fork shocks and ...well , it;s a damn good bike anyway, being so big and heavy, surely different form sliding a dirt bike.
I do now want another new one with the ABS , just can't afford it.

What kind of trade in do people get on a year old bike with only 5 k miles on it.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not good enough these days

Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 PM
sanaga
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: papa_freeman

fly by wire throttle - can't tell the difference between that and cables - very responsive -
are u sure...??
i ride my friend 08 ultra, and hey...the response is late on 08....my 07 response faster whenever i twist my throttle, the rpm rise up quickly, not on an 08...
but yes the ABS and the brembo is TOP.....!!!! now 08 touring brake almost on par with jap touring bikes....

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: ratcat

What do you suppose will happen if a rider jamms on the brakes w/abs, and does't fully disingauge the clutch?
What will happen is the exact same thing that would happen if you jammed on the brakes and didn't fully disengaging the clutch without ABS.

What will happen if the ABS "breaks?" You'll then have a fully-functioning, non-anti-lock brake system. That's it. No drama. No danger.

You keep impressing yourself with those front tire skid marks. The smart money is on ABS.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sanaga

ORIGINAL: papa_freeman

fly by wire throttle - can't tell the difference between that and cables - very responsive -
are u sure...??
I am. Actually, I find the throttle response quicker on my '08 Electra Glide than it ever was on the '07 Fat Boy I traded in. People seem to be having different experiences with the drive-by-wire throttle. However, just as with ABS, this is not new technology. It's only new in the sense that H-D is finally getting around to using what's been out there being used by others for years.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

your bike is an 07.......ABS can be added to your bike....talk to your dealer

Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally do not want anything to do with ABS.Once you learn how to stop using both brakes and have good stopping power you do not need ABS.Try changng to a better pad.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dog155

Once you learn how to stop using both brakes and have good stopping power you do not need ABS.
I know how to properly use my brakes, but I can't modulate my brakes 7 times per second like ABS can and I'm pretty damn sure you can't either.

This Anti-ABS mentality we're seeing is the same that argued agin them thar new-fangled disc brakes when they first came out. "We'll stick with drums!"

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with someone making an informed decision not to use ABS. The problem I have is with people making patently incorrect statements about something that, obvious from their comments and inuendos, they don't understand, have no clue regarding how it operates, and have no interest in taking the time to find out.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

ORIGINAL: Jager

Congrats on getting through it ok, though it's unlikely you actually locked the front end. A locked front tire tucks almost instantly. But you're right, that's the exact thing that ABS is designed to prevent.

As others have mentioned, the HD ABS is both wheels, with separate control circuits. Works a peach.
Exactly.....once you lock up the front, it is an almost instant slam dunk.....even quicker in the wet. Chances are the front end just dived down a bit, and gave the sensation of a lock-up.

At slow speeds in a straight line it's easier than you think. I have the skid mark and the the dogs fur in the drivway to prove it!.

The dogs OK by the way but now he sits on the porch when he hears the bike start up.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

I did my first panic stop, on my first ride on the RG.... cager came RIGHT over me.... wasn't looking..... having just gotten off a Honda Spirit 1100, I pulled that front brake for all it was worth, and STOPMED the rear brake..... locked the rear... felt the front locking, so I released, and re-applied the front.... whew.... as they say HIGH pucker value.... but I stopped in plenty of time.. ( thank you MSF ERC)

Frank
PS, I can never say enough about the MSF experienced rider course..... if you believe you can always learn something new.. they are great....

Quick Reply: Panic stop. OH SHIT