Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panic stop. OH SHIT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM
caleb7mm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Panic stop. OH ****

ORIGINAL: 1Harleyrdr

I have tried mine out doing this but not on sand dirt or water yet. Anyone else try this on bad surface?
done it on sand and it works like a charm. Best thing ever invented for a HD.
And as far as the people who say its for un-experienced riders....13 years on two wheels(not as much as some but more than some)and ill never own another bike without it.

--c--

Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

ABS is the bomb............It CAN NOT BE ADDED to ANY BIKE!!!! I can say from experiance that it works well. Well enough for me not to concider another bike with out it. One failure to HIGH SIDE due to having the ABS is enough for me. The best money that I spent on the bike. The Brembo brakes are as good or better then any metric brakes and that is with or without the ABS option. I would trade up to an 08 at the most oppotrune moment.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
wvbiker26187
Cruiser

Yea the ABS is great. I havent had to really use them but have tried them out on sand and cinders laying on the road from this long winter....I got a small chirp from the front tire and the rear never locked up. It has to be the best addition to a bike you can have.One mistake is just to many and i think ABS will save alot of lives. The Fly by wire is very responsive to me and seems to do great, I just wish more options would come out for new grips

Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Jager

Congrats on getting through it ok, though it's unlikely you actually locked the front end. A locked front tire tucks almost instantly. But you're right, that's the exact thing that ABS is designed to prevent.

As others have mentioned, the HD ABS is both wheels, with separate control circuits. Works a peach.
Exactly.....once you lock up the front, it is an almost instant slam dunk.....even quicker in the wet. Chances are the front end just dived down a bit, and gave the sensation of a lock-up.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
ratcat
Tourer

OK, to be sporting, I'll jump in here so ya'all can have someone ta kick around.
I learned early on, say 1973-back when drum brakes where the best thing going at the local track, thatmastering thefront brake was the ticket to the podium.
So I would practice locking-up the front wheel on my Honda dirtbike to see how far of a skid mark I could leave on the pavement, anyway...long story-short,
I have a garage full of trophys now,and am too old to ride a dirtbike. But I can still leave a front wheel skid mark on the road. ABS? great for your bike, just not mine.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2003FLHPI

where would i found out about adding ABS to my 03 King?
Unfortunately, ABS can't be retrofitted to any bike.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

Had a few panic stops, all turned out ok besides needing a change of clothes. Been riding a long time, don't know if I could keep constant pressure on to make ABS effective. Maybe time to rent one and try.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
ratcat
Tourer

I agree skitr, I'd like to try one myself, I want to see how long it takes to break it. Yes, I saidbreak, not brake.
What do you suppose will happen if a rider jamms on the brakes w/abs, and does't fully disingauge the clutch? A stalled engine? I'm sure the ABScomputer will re-start the engine for you....

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

ABS, a Horn upgrade, and a complete stop to get off your rig andwalk back to the vanwere in order!
It would be the last time that cager didn't spend 1 more second to look out for a bike... and a story he'd pass on to his/her family and friends. The next life at risk may be mine!

CONGRATS on the handling of the panic stop! Keep those skills sharp!

Quick Reply: Panic stop. OH SHIT