Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Problem Encountered on my Roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1st Problem Encountered on my Roadglide

ORIGINAL: smitty901

no sweet off the dealers back
What?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised the dealer would want to keep your bike..........is there another dealer close??

Old 03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer

ORIGINAL: skltr

I am surprised the dealer would want to keep your bike..........is there another dealer close??
Yeah... there's lotsa dealers but they're all are just a littler further out. I'm gettin on the phone tomorrow. It's just the F*#!in hassle of it... ya'd think the lamp would last the life of the radio...but then again, that fairing...you know .."there's is a whole lotta shakin goin on" at idle.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
egor
Advanced

Had a problem with the radio on my 07 roadglide. Cant remember exactly what the problem was,
but it was under warrantee. Dealer replaced it. About 3 months later, dealer calls and says
they have a package for me. The motor company got the old unit and discovered my CD still
in the unit. Took the time to send it back. The cd was a burned unit, basically worth nothing.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
profinish
Banned

My radio on my '07 RG took a dump on me too... controls don't work anymore (only 900 miles)

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slow down everyone. The problem exist and can be fixed, even by you. The dealer does not need to replace the radio to repair this. What has happened is when the radio was introduced the value for "Display" can behighlighted or darkened until the screen is either black, or non existant. HK came out with a repair that downloads the new radio specs via the Digital Techmician into the radio. The repair for this was to eliminate the last steps in this function, the the screen is still visible. What happens is the radio goes to the dispaly screen, and when you think you are turning up the radio volume, you are highlighting the screen. The DL takes about 5 minutes and is covered without replacing the radio.

You can fix this two ways. First turn the ignition on and depress the volume button once, then depress the number "4" on radio face and then press the volume control up or down until screen is visible. To get the new download yourself, go to www.harley-davidson.com and go to premium sound system. It will give you info for stereo updates. Follow the instructions. You can burn the update onto a disc (use the slowest speed avalible)! Then insert disc into cd player, the radio does the rest.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened on mine. The dealer ran some checks on it to make sure it wasn't just an adjustment problem and the radio was replaced under warranty. Once they ran their diagnostics on it and decided there was something wrong, they ordered the new unit and called me when it came in. I made the appt, took the bike in and they replaced it while I waited.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I had diagnosed the face going out. Harman Kardon has made it real hard for dealers to return radios, not always the dealers fault for lengthy fix. They have a new procedure that started in Feb. Hope it work better.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Scottys RoadGilde
Cruiser

The whole display on mine went blank. Everything still worked but you couldn't tell what station etc. At least I knew what stations were programed. Took it to the dealer, they did their checks and called me in a couple weeks and put a reconditioned one in.
Here is where it gets interesting. I told them i didn't like they way the front brakes felt and asked them to check them. My wife picked me up and was going to take me back the next day. Late in the afternoon the dealer called me back and said the bike was ready. The rotors were in spec but they said they did replace the broken front motor mount. I said WTF? Yep front motor mount was broken. They told me they had never seen one do that. No charge for anything. I kind of like my dealer. HD of Washington, in MD.