Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
dt20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding ABS?

was wondering if anybody new how dificult it would be to add ABS. i have an 08 but bought it without the abs at the time and been considering adding the abs to the bike but heard it was really difficult and you would have to just about disassemble the entire bike to do it. not sure this is true so figured would see if anybody else was told this by the dealer. also told it would cost almost 4k to do labor would be about 12hrs of work.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:10 PM
kurtlange
Tourer
Default RE: adding ABS?

according to articles about the hd abs, your dealer is right. quite possible it can't be added at all.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

Forget the ABS, it would be a nightmare to install and you don't need it. More weight, more complexity, more expense. If you have doubts about your riding skills, take a MSF riding course.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: GreyGhost

Forget the ABS, it would be a nightmare to install and you don't need it. More weight, more complexity, more expense. If you have doubts about your riding skills, take a MSF riding course.
Lack of riding skills has nothing to do with ABS.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
dt20
Tourer

well that about answers it. no problem with the riding skills just had abs before and did have to use it a couple of times was a nice option just wasnt available at the timewhen i bought my SG. sales guy said could be added later on if I wanted but checked yesterday doesnt look like ill be getting it then. no big deal

Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dt20

was wondering if anybody new how dificult it would be to add ABS. i have an 08 but bought it without the abs at the time and been considering adding the abs to the bike but heard it was really difficult and you would have to just about disassemble the entire bike to do it. not sure this is true so figured would see if anybody else was told this by the dealer. also told it would cost almost 4k to do labor would be about 12hrs of work.
According to Harley it is NOT retrofittable. I say BS but there are a LOT of parts you would need. I think you would be better of selling yours out right, not trading it in, and getting one with ABS.

Heres a rundown of what I know is different and would have to be changed out.

The wheel bearings get changed, the main wiring harness, all the brake lines, add the wire harness for the wheel bearing pick ups, theABS module itself, various nuts, bolts, washers, clips, and misc items that add up quick. Then I an not sure if you added it there would be a way to activate it, Our Digital Tech has the ABS setup/bleed on it, but on a bike that doesnt haveABS the setup is not on the list, and there is nothing there to activate it.

I dont know the price ofthe parts, but if they did add up to 4K and another grand in labor you could trade it in and come out ahead.

Just my $.02 on it.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
dt20
Tourer

thanks hogdoc thats what i figured. dont need the abs that bad will just keep her the way she is. thanks again

Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dt20

well that about answers it. no problem with the riding skills just had abs before and did have to use it a couple of times was a nice option just wasnt available at the timewhen i bought my SG. sales guy said could be added later on if I wanted but checked yesterday doesnt look like ill be getting it then. no big deal
Thats a sales guy I would be afraid to have sell me a bike, since Harley says and tells its dealers it cant be added.

As a mechanic we will try anything but a salesman just spewing what he deosnt know about.................. we have one like that!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
seldyn1
Tourer

You guys who think riding skills will compensate for ABS are in the dark ages. As good as you think you are ABS is better.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

+1

Quick Reply: adding ABS?