Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deals Gap info

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 PM
jdncoke2424
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deals Gap info

Hi guy's,

I'm headed that way the last week of May, just to ride and relax. Can anybody point me to where I can find about which counties are "dry" and which are not. My buddie and I don't over do it, but we do like a cold one or two in the eves. Not really the bar scene, but just being able to take something back to our rooms would be great. Any advise on what area to stay in, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the day trip ideas, this thread has been great, Jack

Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

oldhippie, if you are staying a Hampton then you must be Hhonors member, there is a nice Hampton Inn in Cherokee NC close to Casion about 35-40 miles from the Dragon. As some others have said, and I agree having ridden both many times, Cherohala Skyway is better touring type road but it can get real cold even in late spring or summer. You will peak above 5000 feet on that one. Certainly you should ride the dragon but as anoter said DO NOT cross the yellow, watch for "lost" big rigs closing off tigh corners and stay at or below speed limit. THP and local leo's have been hitting the dragon hard on TN side.
Give Ironhorse a call to see if they are opening early (usually weather dependent) John and Charlene are great folks and you can go as simple as rent-a-tent or get a room, good breakfast and dinner menu and good home cooking.
Wife and I stay there when we go up and HOG chapter makes a run up there evey year. Sometimes we ride up and sometimes take scoot and travel trailer and stay awhile. you can get area ride type maps at many places around Robbinsville which is just over the mountain from Ironhorse on 143.

Unfortunately the 10 day forecast is calling for rain her in ATL area so you might get wet! Some great riding here in NE Georgia as well only couple hours South of Dragon area. Can put you on some roads that are easily comparable and much longer riding time.

You can ride "The Loop" which is 129 from Robbinsville over the Dragon out around Tellico back up over the Cherohala which drops back down into Robbinsville. It's a little over 100 miles and a great ride.

Long as you don't get washed out you should have a great ride.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

YES SEND paddle wheel HARLEY. I almost got so desperate as to I almost stole the Card board HarleyFat Boythey have bolted to a wall here. (that is why I did not steal it). And Yes before you ask there is a dealer here. No Bikes only Pictures. Anyway I hope you have a BLAST.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks guys!

I'm getting excited about it! Just getting on a motorcycle again after one of the most brutal winters we've had in Massachusetts in a long time is exciting! I still have a foot of snow in my front yard up here even after some heavy rain and metling that has occured recently.

The good news is I ride through November up here and start back in March, and I've got a complete Gerbings kit, jacket/pants/gloves/sox...also great rain gear and also good leathers. (I'm stopping at Fox Creek in IndependenceVA on my way down by the way. So a little cold won't bother me. I've already been told to expect a little rain, and that's cool. There's that motorcycle museum and some other stuff to keep me busy should that happen.

Just getting away from the nuttiness of my job for two weeks is goodness, and my wife wants me "out of here too"! LOL! Cabin Fever and Parked Motorcycle Syndrome (PMS) make me a little crazy.

I will take pictures almost daily and post them in this thread. I'm actually hoping to connect up with one or two of you that have PM'd me and I can't thank you guys enough.. Timerland and others for all the great suggestions.

I did check about the IronHorse to see if they were open, and they aren't yet, but they said they would rent me a room but no kitchen service or anything. Made me think the place might be a little empty and that the area might be hard to find a place to get a decent steak or burger. So being up by the Pigeon Forge area in Sevierville works fine. I am usually a long distance rider, used to riding 250 to 400 miles days, so my only concern is to be able to make some loops that let me put on some miles. Kinda sounds like a lot of the loops down here are shorter than that.

Still lookign for good lunch time Diner suggestions while I'm out for the day. Don't got those down there? I need good diners for breakfast and lunch. With sweet waitresses and good motorcycle parking and hot food!

I don't wanna pickle, I just wanna ride on my motorcycle.
and I don't wanna die
I just wanna ride on my motorcy...

Let's ride!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 PM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best place to stay in Robbinsville is Blue Waters Mountain Lodge. You won't regret it; accomodations second to none. It is right off of 129. close to the Dragon and close to town. Peaceful and quiet on the lake.

http://www.bluewatersmtnl.com/

Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

HOOTERS on Airport inKnoxville by the Airport AKA 129 just the town end though. Or Look Up cowboys In Dandridge if you stay in Pigeon forge. Or OH MY FAVORITE PLACE It is a steak House Called GREASE RACK in Newport Tn. Not but a 30 mile scoot from Pigeon Forge. You will Have Plenty of loops to take all day. Just remember that 200 miles in the mountains is like 400 in Ga. Sometimes you cruise at 45 or slower. Oh Crap GO to DIXIE STAMPEDE Kick *** Show People riding horses and such and dinner. You can watch Chineese Acrobats in Pigeon Forge too.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hippie, ....I am going to PF the week of the 24th, taking most of the toy box, Harley (in box of Duramax) and bass boat. If its raining I'm fishing,... early a.m. i'm fishing..., afternoon Harley with the wife...and by the way, your wife would absolutly love Pigeon Forge, I forgot to tell ya...outlet malls galore , if she aint into riding all day she can play in the stores while your doing your thing! It's pretty hard for me to try to excape to PF without my wife. Room in the boat if anyone in the area.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Well the count down has begun. I am leaving the warzone called New England (see below) and leaving for the Smokey Mountains early tomorrow morning. I'll take 81 all the way down and then break off to stop at Fox Creek Leathers. the straight south to meet a friend in Greenville for a couple days. The ride all next week over near the Deals Gap area and staying in Sevierville.

Here's what it looks like at my house tonight. The Envoy is packed. I've got a box full of music for the ride down, a CB to talk to the truckers and a heated coffee mug.

Yahoo, let's RIDE!!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

Sevieriville is A great place to stay. It is the cheapest and in the center of all the riding. Oh and yes The outlet malls are huge.. There are several tool outlet places there adn as seen on tv stuff. LOTS OF PANCAKES????

Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I had no idea that the Dragon was that close to Tellico. I may have to find a week or so this summer and take both of my toys out there and camp for a week or two...ride the bike a few days, then go out and beat up my rock crawler Yota for a while...gotta love when 2 hobbies that different have an area that allows for fun time off...

Quick Reply: Deals Gap info