Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change almost went bad!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil change almost went bad!

I use Moble 1 Synthetic in all 3 holes. It can be found at just about all the Oreiley Auto Part stores in my area. I went to the one by my house and they only had 3 quarts. The guy called another store gave them the part number and the guy at the other store pulled me 3 more quarts. When I went to the 2nd Oreiley's it was at the counter waiting. I paid, came back home to change my fluids. When I poured the 1st quart in the engine it was a pinkish red color. This didn’t seem right. I stopped pouring and looked and it was 2 cycle oil. After receiving a part number the guy still pulls the wrong oil. The biggest thing is I’m lucky I caught it and didn’t put this in my engine. 2nd I’m glad I didn’t pour the 3 quarts of the correct oil in and then the 2 cycle oil because I would have had to drain it all wasting 4 quarts at about $8 each.

So I called Oreiley and the guy tells me he can exchange 2 quarts but can’t do anything about the 3rd bottle because I opened it. Yes I should have checked the oil, but dang how about Oreiley saying a mistake was made on their end too and try to help the situation?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM
courterbag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil change almost went bad!

First good catch! Second he!! yeah they should cough up a quart of the "right" oil you bought, not to mention how many trips did you have to make. Sometimes it just amazes me how a company would rather give up a customer than a quart of oil...

Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense dude and i know you know this now but do you really want to trust a auto parts guy for anything? Its not his job to make sure you get what you need. That was your mistake not the guy who could care less what you buy. He did not look at the bottle so what neither did you.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM
capt775
Road Master

I'm tellin ya, it's buyer beware, everywhere. Parts houses, resturants, DEALERSHIPS.

Went in to get a filter and derby gasket for the oil change on my 07 Ultra. Parts guy gives me a paper gasket.I say, that ain't it, went back and forth until he looked it up. Sure nuff, it's big rubber "o" ring type.

Ordered a Egg McMuffin this morning, they gave me a Sausage Biscuit, I had already driven off too.

Gotta check the sacks and read the labels before ya leave the stores, or it's on you now days.[:@]

Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
03ultra100th
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good catch and save!! Could have been a major disaster. A good lesson for the future. Wal-Mart must have trained the guy!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

Its not his job to make sure you get what you need.
If someone calls from another store and gives him the part numberthen it is his job. But I claim responsibilty for not checking.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man theres no doubt about that but ya gotta admit that after you thought about punching that tweed smokin nut sack in the throat that you wanted to hit yourself with something.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't gone back up there yet. I am going tomorrow. But I'm not mad it was only $8 and I will continue to shop there but like courterbag said there are many people who would take their business elsewhere and Oreiley would lose someone over $8.

I am just so thankfull that I didn't try to run the 2 cycle oil for 3000 miles.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
crackercap
Road Master

I had the same sitution when I went to a m/c dealer for oil for my 4 wheeler, i specified a certain brand and viscosity, got home, wrong oil entirely..It's sad but true, you gotta check it out before you leave. You would think though that a H/D dealer could get it right, thumbs up on paying attention on the change...

Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

No telling what the engine would sound like with two cycle oil!

Quick Reply: Oil change almost went bad!