Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craftsman aluminum jack any good???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:03 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Craftsman aluminum jack any good???

IMO the diference in cost isnt warranted. As far as I can tell weight is about the only diference. Not worth the 50-60 dollar price dif to me.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ApeKing

IMO the diference in cost isnt warranted. As far as I can tell weight is about the only diference. Not worth the 50-60 dollar price dif to me.
I'm not sure but I believe the aluminum one has a lower height when all the way down. Could make a difference on some bikes.

Besides some of us knuckleheads just like spending the extra $ cuz it looks so cool. LOL.

BTW: Had mine since August and one of the wheels snapped off at the casting of the lifts body. Took it back to Sears and they gave me a replacement with 0 hassle.

Primo

Old 01-30-2006, 05:52 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife bought me one for Christmas and I'm very pleased with it so far. You just need to find your balance point, and if you raise it up all the way I'd use the straps. It doesn't feel unstable, but that much weight off the ground and working on it makes me a bit nervous.[8D]

Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Vic in Va
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mwike

ORIGINAL: MACK

GET A HARLEY JACK. IT IS TWICE AS EXPENSIVE BUT FOOL PROOF. IT IS A GEAR DRIVE HAND JACK THAT WILL ONLY MOVE IF YOU CRANK IT UNLIKE THE HYDRAULIC ONE PICTURED. i CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY ONE WOULD SPEND 20,OOO.OO PLUS AND THENCONSIDER SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY INFERIOR.

You haven't heard all the uproar about the HD TV's??????

I GUESS YOU WOULD BUY A TELEVISION IF HARLEY MADE THEM, BECAUSE ALL OTHERS MUST BE OBVIOUSLY INFERIOR. WHAT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IS WHY YOU ARE ALWAYS YELLING AT US.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 AM
msbhvn
Cruiser

I used mine yesterday and still haven't found the best way to get it to balance the load. I am using it on an Ultra, are most of you crossing over the cross beam in the back? If so are you just catching the edge, makes me a little weary, thought about putting a 1 by wide enough to cover both sides of the cross rail. Seems a lot are satisfied with this but I haven't found the confidence in it yet.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: msbhvn

I used mine yesterday and still haven't found the best way to get it to balance the load. I am using it on an Ultra, are most of you crossing over the cross beam in the back? If so are you just catching the edge, makes me a little weary, thought about putting a 1 by wide enough to cover both sides of the cross rail. Seems a lot are satisfied with this but I haven't found the confidence in it yet.

I put the rear pad up against the outside edge of the rear crossmember

[IMG]local://upfiles/6073/350D5526D86A4EE5930E45A65F3DF5B1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2006, 06:33 PM
freddc1
Cruiser
Default Pit Bull Jack

did you consider the dunwell jack also, appear very similar and few bucks less.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pit Bull Jack

Not sure to what extent you guys plan on using your jacks, but just a thought to keep in mind. Obviously the baggers are pretty heavy. I had a Classic on the aluminum style jack like in question. (I like it a lot, and use it just about every day.) Most of the time I use a shop type floor lift for this kind of work, but it was in use. So, once I got the front fairing off, I noticed the bike was a lot more unstable. It really doesn't matter what kind of jack you use. My point is, if you are going to have the front or rear torn down, make sure you block up the opposite end, or you will be trying to figure out how to get it up off the floor like I did. Fortunately it just slid off on to the back tire. Looked like it was doing a heck of a wheelie!