Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:51 AM
bedellb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it ain't broke, don't fix it!?

I am a company commander stationed here in Iraq. I just bought an Anniv. RG and will pick it up in about two weeks after this 15 month deployment. I have talked to several people and read some threads about the bike. Most people talk about replacing mufflers, intakes, basically getting a Stage 1 kit. I sold my '99 Buell Lightening X-1 because the thrill of hugging corners and lightening speed off the line fell back seat to taking it easy and kicking a few hundered miles to my road trips. I thought that Harley made a great bike and it seems that most people are wanting to make the bike what it wasn't designed for.

I am a bit of a purist and I guess I am asking why so many people modify a brand new bike?Is it all personnal preference or is there really something to the performance difference of highway miles between stock and modified?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!?

Personal preference and EPA are at odds with each other so Stage 1 is pretty much the minimum. Aftet that, go wherever you like but you're already right about the main thing - with a bagger the term "ride, ride, ride" is taken seriously.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 AM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and OOOHRAAA to you from the Navy. You like us Seabee's.

You dont have to to anything to it. How ever I did not like the Honda Davidson sound when it was stock. I also wanted more power in the low end. Ride it for a while and figure it out. See what YOU want.

Keep your Head down bro and return safe, and congradulations on your Purchase, even if it is an ugly bike, LOL

Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 AM
scarnay
Road Master

First of all, get home safe. Second, congrats on the new scoot. I have done only minor mods to mine and love it just the way it is. Make yours,,,,yours. Happy riding!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the stage 1 for 1 reason, to reduce that freakin heat. I also had a dyno to make sure it is running like it should. Between the stage 1 and synthetic oil i find it much much cooler and runs and sounds better. I am finished with the eng. upgrades and now just want to ride it. Was not happy to spend the extra 1k to get it to run like it should when i bought it but thats life. Now it's a done deal and i am good to go.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master

CO, thank you for serving, If you haven't rode that RG much yet, you will understand after about 1,000 miles that it is down a bunch of power compared to the Buell......Beleve me you will be scratching your head trying to figure out how to get more umph out of her....When I first bought mine I thought I was dragging at least 2 more bikes around behind me..... When it is above 70 out, the heat off of the right pipe will fry your nu**^% and when you have to set in traffic you will cuss the bike because of the heat... I guess I am saying do the mods you wont be sorry....The true duels will help the heat issue and a air cleaner and fuel management system will Make it run sooo much better.....After I Made my mods it felt like I had released the emergency brake on the bike!!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Purist, then ride on Bro, It was months before I even changed the pipes to Supertrapp, nice low Harley rumble not loud and really felt a performance increase, but the bike was still very hot the crossover pipe would get white hot on trips. About 9 months late installed a Doherty Powerpacc and TV11 tuner again seat of pants performance increase and the bike cooled down substantially, I'm happy. Just ride yours and decide for yourself hang around the Harley shops look and listen to what others have done then make your mind up, nothing wrong with stock.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:28 AM
chappy_2336
Cruiser

Good to hear you're coming home Sir. My opinion is that HD does build a great bike, but I have to agree with rangerat in the fact that the EPA turns it into an "OK bike" and is up to the buyers to make it a great bike again. Just my .02

Old 03-01-2008, 06:39 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get home safe and thank you for your service. If this is your first bagger, at a minimum I'd do the Stage 1 with a Power Commander. If you're married, you may need to think about a few things to make her happy when she's on the back. Other than that, it never hurts to take your time and think about what you want rather than end up with a bunch of crap you don't need. Tweaking a Harley is about as addictive as heroin so you have that to look forward to. Good luck and enjoy it!

Old 03-01-2008, 06:48 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member

First off thank you and get home safe. As far as exhaust, fuel management and air cleaner the above posts are all good. It is all personal preference and everyone has a different ear for what they like in sound. Others want the bike more quiet so theie ears are not ringing after a long ride. Do what you want when you want. You are the only one that needs to like it. The heat issue may not be a problem for you but you may want to cool it down for the engine's sake. Definitely synthetic oil after the first change and just see how you like it.

btw, great choice in bikes!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!?