Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix for 08 touring bike rear brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008 | 03:09 AM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Fix for 08 touring bike rear brake squeal

I work as a tech at a Dodge dealership and the SRT-8 models have Brembo brakes on them... They squeak like crazy and leave lots of dust! But they are great at stopping hard and staying cool.. Chrysler has actually put out a bulletin to replace the pads with an updated pad that dosen't squeak as much.. Seem to still work fine...

Old 03-02-2008 | 08:03 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: maxum96

How expensive are the Lyndall pads for the 08's? When I pulled the pads out to put the anti squeal on them I noticed they were stamped with the Brembo name. Performance wise they're awesome. My Ultra will easily outbrake my Softail even though it weighs over 200 lbs more than the Softail.
Same price for any of like material. Since you are a HDF member, we support this site by giving you a discount and free (well not to me) same day 2 day priority shipping excluding Sunday as the transportation is closed.

Old 03-02-2008 | 08:54 AM
fxrsrick
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get rid of the squeal, remove the pig.

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:32 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Why would the two brakes up front be quite and the one in the back isn't??

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:47 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Lyndall is the way to go, make sure you clean the caliper guide pins when installing them, this is what causes the pad to make noise, look at their site and do a search here.

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:10 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lyndalls are the solution.

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:23 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

Lyndall is the way to go, make sure you clean the caliper guide pins when installing them, this is what causes the pad to make noise, look at their site and do a search here.
LOOK AT THEIR SITE....HAVE YOU EVERY TRIED LOOKING AT THOSE WEB PAGES!!! My eyes were crossed for three days after the last time I tried looking up some info on those web pages. Actually I will likely be ordering some Lyndall pads in the near future, but will have to use an 800 number instead of ordering off the web....those moving/flashing back-grounds make it impossible to read anything.....the pads are a very good product, but the web site is the worst I've ever tried to shop on.

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:29 PM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine should be fixed on Thrusday. I am having the dealer install the Lyndells pad under warrenty.
I have been in 5 times for the noise. Last timeI asked the service MGR, if I gotthe pads would he put them on? He said yes.

Old 03-04-2008 | 04:23 PM
nutflush607
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked with with a Harley salesman and questioned him about what I have read here. He use to be a service writer for a car dealership. This is what they would do for squeaking breaks. They have also tried it on bikes. Take off the break pad and apply heavy grease to the back side of the pad and that should take care of the squeal. (remember NOT on the front of the pad.. ON the back side of the pad)

Old 03-04-2008 | 04:45 PM
timberland
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

ORIGINAL: nutflush607

I talked with with a Harley salesman and questioned him about what I have read here. He use to be a service writer for a car dealership. This is what they would do for squeaking breaks. They have also tried it on bikes. Take off the break pad and apply heavy grease to the back side of the pad and that should take care of the squeal. (remember NOT on the front of the pad.. ON the back side of the pad)

[sm=badidea.gif] I dont think this grease idea is a good one, think about it...what happens when you use your brakes?... they get hot, now what do you think happens to the grease when it gets hot?....it turns to oil, and oil and brakes dont mix real well, trust me the grease / oil will find its way to the pads. Any idea why this Harley salesman dosen't have a job as a service writer?

Quick Reply: Fix for 08 touring bike rear brake squeal