Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Shocks or Lowering Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Street Glide Shocks or Lowering Blocks?

Hey guys,

I kinda hinted at this question in another post, but am nowasking it specificaly. I want to lower my rear end only. I would like to get flat footed on my RG and do not want to change the seat. What have you found to be bettter?

Lowering the bike via Streat Glide Shocks or using lowering blocks to lower the rear?

Whether I go with SG shocks or stock shocks and lowering blocks, I will beupgrading the oil.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Street Glide Shocks or Lowering Blocks?

Do yourself a favor and go with Progressive 412 11 1/2 shocks I went the lowering blocks and didn't like them ....But I didn't like the air setup frim the beginning... With the progressive you can at least adjust them for 2 up and let tnem back down for riding single... Ps. with the lowering blocks I was always hitting the fender riding two up..... This was with my air shocks....

Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing FT Lowering Spring Kit (Progressive)
Lowering the rear the best way would be a Air Ride System

Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got an 08 Street Glide. I tried lowering the back with lowering blocks. I found the ride to be harsh at best. I also bottomed out at the lowest setting. As I lowered it the ride got worse because of the pitch angle of the shock. I am 5'7" so I wanted it as low as I could with out scrubbing the fender. I then purchased the progressive 412's in 11". Street Glide shocks are 12". The height issue is great now. I don't do any two up riding I have to admit but it doesn't scrub. I didn't get a full inch of drop at the seat which I thought I would but I did get 5/8 of an inch. I have left it at the softest setting and the ride has been fine. The next shock price wise up from the 412's is alot more but you get to control the damping quality. I think maybe had I to do over again I might go that route because these shocks rebound pretty quick instead of damping the rise of the suspension. Having said all this I have a 2 sets of blocks for sale. One set I purchased of ebay and the other set I made from the original design but made better. These are stonger and eliminate the spacer they supply. If your interested you can PM me.
Good luck

Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have owned 2 Classics, and now an 07 Street Glide.

I would absolutely say use the lowering blocks with 13" shocks over using the 12" shocks. I rode my SG for the better part of a year with the stock 12" shocks, 1up, 2up, and with every different air pressure I could. I then put a set of 13" shocks with lowering blocks on, and the ride improved IMMENSELY. As well as getting rid of the constant bottoming out of the 12" shocks going in/out of driveways, bumps, etc.

The 13" shocks/blocks made my stiff SG ride as nice as my 2 classics used to. It sits just as low as it did with the "low profile" 12" shocks.

As far as the Progressives that everybody seems to recommend, I have had them on 3 diff bikes, and have NEVER once felt they were worth the money from a COMFORT standpoint. They probably improve HANDLING somewhat if you tend to be aggressive in the twistys, but "plush ride" is not words I would use in conjunction with them.

I think you would be very happy with just putting the lowering blocks on your RG.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got an 04 Road Glide.

I rolled it off the floor with the HD lowering shocks (12") They were OK.

I wanted to slam the bike lower and put a set of blocks on but it was two low and bottomed out.

I then put the 13" stock shocks on with the blocks but that bottomed out with a passenger and some times with out one if the pot hole was big enough.

So I put the 12" shocks back on for a while

Then I put progressive lowering springs in the front and 440 11 1/2" shocks on the back.
The bike has a slammed look that I like and rides and handles great.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all! Split decision so far. I'll have to check out the cost of the 412's. I simply can't afford the 440's.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The 440s also do not work as well when you use shorter versions. The valving that gives them the "better ride" needs travel in order to work to its fullest extent, so if your gonna put shorter shocks on, might as well buy the 412s and save the money.

Just remember your gonna loose the ablity to make preload ajustments without having to take your bags off to do so.

Thats based on personal experience, as well as input directly from progressive reps.