Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra throttle grip

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
warthawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Ultra throttle grip

Anyone changed their gips on an 08 Ultra Classic? I removed the two screw to seperate the housing, but when I try to seperate the housing I'm getting some resistance. Enough that I can't open them far enough to slide off the existing grip. With all the wiring in there I'm a little afraid to force them open without knowing I can with out pulling something loose or breaking something. Any ideas?

(BTW, I have ordered a service manual but it hasn't come in yet.)

Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 08 Ultra throttle grip

Was just about to head out to the gargae to change my grips. Think I'll wait and see what kind of responses you get first.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
marthared
Cruiser

Are you sure you have grips that are for an 08 touring bike? When I got my Nostalgic grips, I had to make sure they had 08 on the tag. No others will fit.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
warthawg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: marthared

Are you sure you have grips that are for an 08 touring bike? When I got my Nostalgic grips, I had to make sure they had 08 on the tag. No others will fit.
Haven't got that far yet, just tring to get the old one off.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

Of course I am getting older and my memory is not what it used to be. But when I changed my grips just two months ago, I thought there was three screws. But I agree with marthared they have to be for 08's. The grip on the left (clutch) will have to be cut or take a air hose and lossen it to pull off. The grip on the right (throttle) will just slip off and slip back on.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:40 PM
warthawg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jackja25

Of course I am getting older and my memory is not what it used to be. But when I changed my grips just two months ago, I thought there was three screws. But I agree with marthared they have to be for 08's. The grip on the left (clutch) will have to be cut or take a air hose and lossen it to pull off. The grip on the right (throttle) will just slip off and slip back on.
I don't see another screw. It does seperate about half an inch on the front and about half that in the back, just no enough I can see peek in and see whats hangin it up.

I know the new one has to be for an 08 with ETC.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Two screws. One on top, one on the bottom. Just pull the two halves as far apart as you can and with a little finagling, the grip will pull right out and off. There's nothing attached to it for you to damage. The important thing is to make sure the new grip goes back on properly. Once you have the grip off, you'll see that the drive-by-wire unit on the end of the handlebar as a toothed cog and the inside of the grip has matching teeth cut into it. These have to mesh for the grip to seat properly and for your throttle to work as it should. I've had my grips off at least twice already now.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

The wires inside the housing are held in by a piece of metal screwed to the inside of the housing near the connectors. It might be a little tight, but you can lift up on the housing without pulling any of the wires out. Then just lift up a bit on the grip to clear where it is held in by the rib and give a gentle tug on the grip

Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I had the same trouble with my 08 street glide. I took the other two screws out that hold the rest of the assemble on the handlebar and then it became very easy to slide the grip off and replace it with the new one.

Dennis

Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rochkes

I had the same trouble with my 08 street glide. I took the other two screws out that hold the rest of the assemble on the handlebar and then it became very easy to slide the grip off and replace it with the new one.

Dennis
If you do this, be sure you keep the front brake master cylinder in place so that you don't bend the brake line and develop a fluid leak or other problem.

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra throttle grip