Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra throttle grip

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 08 Ultra throttle grip

Wow that was so easy even a caveman could do it. Just took me five minutes tops to change the throttle side. You do have to tug down a little on the bottom of the switch housing to free the stock grip. Then slide the new one on and turn it slowly until you feel the teeth grip. I never messed with grips on any of my previous bikes because these arthritic hands are not good with small parts.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WORD OF CAUTION: Do not remove or install the master cylinder assembly without first positioning a 5/32-inch (4mm) thick insert (I used a 1/4-20 nylon bolt, worked find) between the brake lever and the lever bracket. Removing or installing the master cylinder assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger on the front stoplight switch.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
BRO
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut off the left side grip becasue I didn't want to dick with it but the whole job was maybe 15-20 min. Only took that long because I could not believe it was that easy. By far the easiest grips I have ever changed, to bad there are not more options out there for the 08's, but they will come.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
warthawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rochkes

I had the same trouble with my 08 street glide. I took the other two screws out that hold the rest of the assemble on the handlebar and then it became very easy to slide the grip off and replace it with the new one.

Dennis
That was the ticket! Couldn't rotate the bottom half of the housing enough to clear the flange on the grip. Just needed to loosen the other two screw a bit as you suggested and it gave the little bit of clearance I needed. Didn't have to remove them, just loosen them a few of turns until the lower housing rotated just a hair more.

One thing to mention to anyone else doing this, the left grip extends into the switch housing and appears to act as a gasket. The Kuryakyn ISO Grips don't have this extra bit of rubber, so I just cut around the grip against the housing to leave the old rubber to seal the housing and pushed the new grip right up to it.

Thanks guys,

Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: warthogsf

One thing to mention to anyone else doing this, the left grip extends into the switch housing and appears to act as a gasket. The Kuryakyn ISO Grips don't have this extra bit of rubber, so I just cut around the grip against the housing to leave the old rubber to seal the housing and pushed the new grip right up to it.

Whoops. Too late now.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:32 PM
avalauncher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the left grip a "glued" or "unglued" grip? And, if "glued" did you put adhesive on the new one per instructions? What did you used for adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The glue/no-glue issue depends on whose grips you are using. The HD's are no glue, the ISO's require glue. Most glue type come with a small tube inside on e of the grips.