Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin - Zumo 550 and XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008 | 06:45 PM
Texas Fat Boy
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default Garmin - Zumo 550 and XM radio?

I was checking out the Garmin - Zumo 550 and it says it comes with an XM radio feature.
Has anybody used this feature?

How do you listen to the music on one of these?
The web site comments on it says it has a weak FM transmitter.

What if I don't have a radio on the bike?
I won't havea radiountil I buy a Street Glide later on.

I was just curious how do you guys get the voice directions and listen to music.

Old 02-28-2008 | 07:20 PM
wglindsay
Cruiser
Default RE: Garmin - Zumo 550 and XM radio?

I use wired ear plugs made from my ear molds at The Ear Plug Company. Everything on the Zumo works great. You will have to buy the XM radio to receive the XM signal and that is another $150. But with that said it is well worth every penny when I am on a long ride. I also signed up for the wx and traffic service and they have come in handy on a couple cross country rides.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Old 02-28-2008 | 08:03 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a street glide now so when you get yours you'll love it. But before it I used earphones and they worked good. Just get some good ones and they will cut out all the wind noise.

Old 02-28-2008 | 08:10 PM
rapz
Road Captain

The XM is optional and it's pricy. You buy the antenna which is really the XM unit, it's a large, about 3.5" diameter, disk that you can mount on any metal part or plate. Reception is good, I've got mine under the ultra fairing on the metal radio casing. You can PM me if you have any particular question/s.

Old 02-28-2008 | 08:16 PM
debay
Tourer
Default RE: Gamin - Zumo 550 and XM radio?

maybe some can help out just got mine , downloaded picturesno problem trying to download the pois Harley stores locator's from the zumo forum . Does any one listen to mp3 and use there blue tooth phone, what would be the best setup for the earplugs and mike

Old 02-28-2008 | 09:03 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master

I already have the zumo. What I want to know is how easy it is to take from car to bike.

Old 02-28-2008 | 09:26 PM
elpoman
Advanced

From bike to car, is a snap. Just put it in the bracket for the car and plug into the cigarette lighter, speaker built into the car bracket.

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:15 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: atexn4christ

I already have the zumo. What I want to know is how easy it is to take from car to bike.
This is a thread of how I mounted mine....it'll give you some ideas....as for moving it from bike to bike or car.....using the waterproof plug will allow you to hardwire it to different vehicles and move it with issues.....

I also have XM radio....as stated you will need a GMX antenna....watch ebay or the Zumo forum, sometimes you can catch a deal...I have a EGC and it works great through the AUX feature using a 3.5mm male to male plug.....

there is some great information on zumoforum.com

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:57 AM
dt20
Tourer

ORIGINAL: debay

maybe some can help out just got mine , downloaded picturesno problem trying to download the pois Harley stores locator's from the zumo forum . Does any one listen to mp3 and use there blue tooth phone, what would be the best setup for the earplugs and mike
i use my bluetooth zumo in my truck all the time works pretty good. i also connected through the blue tooth blue ant z9 which works well and has the capability of reducing background noise. havent had a chance to see how bad it is on the bike. I used to have the 550 mounted on my beemer through an autocom system that wired speakers and boom mic through my modular helmet. MP3 worked fine and were great to have on long trips.

like you said www.zumoforums.com is a great place to get lots of info on these units.

Old 02-29-2008 | 05:53 AM
FLHTinILM
Advanced

I listen to mp3's and make phone calls using my Zumo. Works like a charm.

I use the Scala Rider Bluetooth headset.

When a call comes in, the Zumo displays Name or number of who is calling, gives you the option of accepting the call or not. The Scala Rider automatically adjusts the volume for road noise regardless of listening to the music or the phone call.

The Zumo acts as the go-between for the phone and the headset.

I doubt I'll get the XM radio option - too pricey for me

Quick Reply: Garmin - Zumo 550 and XM radio?