Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will I need to remap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts
Default will I need to remap?

just ordered a k@n 3909 filter kit. for my '03 ultra with fi. will I have to remap the thing if thats all I change? rest of bike is box stock.thanks,,,

Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: will I need to remap?

It's probably a good idea. You might even want to consider a more free-flowing muffler. With all that extra air coming in, you'll want to get rid ofthe exhaustin a more efficient fashion. Otherwise, you most likely won't notice any difference in engine performance.

The general rule I've heard is: You can change what's going out (mufflers only) and not have to remap. When changing what's going into the engine (high-flow air filter), a remap is a good idea.

The EFI is tuned to a specific air/fuel mixture. When you change that mixture (more air), you should let the EFI know about it. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

What BlackBastard said.

Why only change the A/C?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Scootr
Road Master

Continue on to pipes and a fuel management system and say... WOW Just my opinion of course.

Even with the new air cleaner only a remap at the least is a good idea. I just hate wasting money on the useless download (I did and then still went to thePCIII)that will still cause the bike to run lean. A good fuel management system like the sert or pciii etc will do the job much better.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

+1 what smundorf said.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

the reason I decided to go with the k@n filter is the stock one is shot ,and it always ran like it had a head cold. I'm not into loud exhausts as I like to cruse and don't want the noise. plus I'm due for inspection and a louder exhaust wont get passed. I just figured if it helps it run a little better and is not a major investment why not? if it seems I need a remap I might go back to stock. thanks,,

Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the K&N you are putting on is just and OEM replacement type and you are keeping the stock air box then no need to remap

Old 02-28-2008, 11:44 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I dunno, I say remap.
Dyno guys can get sometimes 5-10 hp out of tuning a stock bike off the floor. HD sets them up lean to begin with then you lean it more by adding more air. People say ohh you don't need a remap for pipesonly but when I changed pipes only the bike popped badly on decel. That is caused by a lean condition. I ended up changing out A/C and added a PCIII. Wow it isn't even dynoed yet and runs twice as good and no popping!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well big cahuna, looks like you need to spend thousands in upgrades to match that filter according to some so i guess you better not change that filter.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: CREEPSHOW

I dunno, I say remap.
Dyno guys can get sometimes 5-10 hp out of tuning a stock bike off the floor. HD sets them up lean to begin with then you lean it more by adding more air. People say ohh you don't need a remap for pipesonly but when I changed pipes only the bike popped badly on decel. That is caused by a lean condition. I ended up changing out A/C and added a PCIII. Wow it isn't even dynoed yet and runs twice as good and no popping!
100% behind your opinion [sm=youreright.gif]

Peter

Quick Reply: will I need to remap?