Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old is too old?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How old is too old?

I ride reg with a Bro in Law who turns 76 this year. Rides an 06 Dyna and also a 54 Matchless and a 54 Square 4....

Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm the second youngest in our group. The rest are all 50ish. Some slightly younger, some a bitolder. They all can ride circles around me then kick my *** racing to the next stop, for the most part. I'd say they all got a lot more years of riding in them.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode down to Laughlin, NV yesterday and had lunch. Met a gentleman there riding a Street Glide. He asked where I was going from there. I mentioned Oatman and then Kingman, AZ before heading home. He asked if I minded him tagging along. When we got to Oatman, we got acquainted. He is 80 and looked about my age (late 60's). After watching the 'gunfighters' we headed for Kingman on Route 66. We had a blast thru the twisties trading the lead about everytwo turns. After coffee, he headed back to Laughlin where he and his wife are snowbirding in a motorhome and I headed home to Henderson. When I grow up, I want to be just like him.

While in Oatman, we looked at a couple of trikes. He said that he was going to have his Street Glide converted in about 5 to 6 years.

How long each one of us is able to ride safely and not endanger others is an individual call. I for one hope I'm still riding at 90. ... BC

Old 02-29-2008, 01:23 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: rochkes

I see getting too old to ride alot like getting too old to do the wild thing anymore............... for some it comes early in life and others never loose the ability no matter how long they have lived on this earth.

I want my life to end doing one or theother of these fine recreational activities.............. My wife has speciffic instructions to cremate what's left of me and mix the ashes in a gallon of Guiness. Then put the whole mess in a douche bottle and help me make one last pass.

LMAO but I don't think the wife is going to like that Guiness. Have not seen it tried but just saying.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:55 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I am 62 been riding since 15, and will ride until they take my license away or die int saddle.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: roxnatwist

With all the advances in medicines these days, maybe they'll come up with Bikeagra. The only problem with that might be if you stay in the saddle for more than 4 continuous hours, you need to seek medical attention.
I'd like a drug like that to help me keep the bike up......other stuff that needs to be up I can work on at home!!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Fred Marshwas still running his shop (Marsh Motorcycle in Windsor CT, once an Indian and Brit bike shop and now a Moto-Guzzi dealership run by his nephew) into his 90's, and still riding (although not on the street) at 100!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 410 Posts

Bessie Stringfield rode until she was in her 80's. Bessiebroke down barriers for women and African American motorcyclists at the same time, by completing eight solo cross-country tours and serving as a U.S. Army motorcycle dispatch rider in the 1940s. In an article, she stated, "Years ago the doctor wanted to stop me from riding. I told him if I don't ride I won't live long. And so I never did quit."

http://home.ama-cycle.org/forms/museum/biopage1.asp?id=277

Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM
ezgo
Advanced

Hi Bluto, I felt like a kid after reading some of these posts, I guess the bottom line is that we all love motorcycles and will ride till we drop, I'm 73, have approx. 400,000 miles on 34 big bikes, ride all year in the Ct RI area in the winter, couple years ago rode a busa down to Deals Gap, a Valkyrie interstate from RI to CA 8000 mile round trip in January. So you see its not your age, its our condition, go ride, don't think about it, nature will tell you when to quit.

Ride safe

Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
last one
Intermediate

Knee draggin' on a DUCATI Monster at 53 with my son on his Yamaha R6 were some of the best times I could have had. Just decided that I'd like to hold onto those memories for a long time and ride as long as I'm alive and well, so the Monster's gone!
As long as I remember to put my feet down at red lights, I'll be riding my Road King Custom.

Quick Reply: How old is too old?