Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get more comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008 | 03:21 PM
scottburns8ball
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get more comfortable

The only drawback to my Street Glide, that I have found, is that the handlebar position starts to hurt my shoulders after an hour of riding. I am looking at ways to get the bars higher. I have looked at changing the bars, but that would also include changing cables and wires and mirrors, i.e. pain in the *** and expensive.
So, I am wanting to know who makes a good seat that will drop the driver down yet still be comfortable. If you have a seat like that, how far does it lower you? Also, is it as simple as swapping "dog bones" to lower a Street Glide or is it more than that. If you have lowered you SG, what did you do and what kind of cost is involved.
I am hoping that, between the seat and a lowering kit, I can drop myself enough to equal changing the bars while saving money and being more comfortable. Plus, I think the bike would look good lowered.
Thanks.

Old 02-27-2008 | 03:53 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Trying to get more comfortable

The rear of the street glide is already lowered. Not sure howmuch more you can lower it without sacrificing the ride. I'll have to leave that info to someone else.
I would however think of lowering the front some. Progressive and Harley make springs for that.
[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 02-27-2008 | 04:32 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay for the handlebars and cables.I know it's expensive but it's worth every penny.I used the Wild-1 bars and love them.

Old 02-27-2008 | 04:35 PM
texan321
Road Captain

Sometimes you don't have to replace the bars - try moving them a little - up or down.....maybe that will help.

Old 02-27-2008 | 04:45 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can also create a different seating position utilizing the driver's backrest assembly.

Old 02-27-2008 | 05:03 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the backrest. I was amazed what a difference that made. Keeps me from slouching which for me anyway is where a lot of the discomfort came from. Maybe a backrest and a bit of moving your bars will do the trick.

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:15 PM
glidepride
Advanced

I had same problem and bought a Danny Gray bigseat and it lowered me a bit but not much. I did buy 13" apes but Wild-1 does have some bars that will raise your hands somewhat like Sodiee mentioned and they look nice if you are not into apes. Arlen Ness makes a great lowering kit that is adjustable for the rear and Progressive will do the trick up front. If you just lower it another inch you should be OK without sacrificing the ride. I did it to my 07 and love the way it looks and handles. I also changed out wheels to 21/18 Metzeler low profiles to get that lowered look.I have pics in my profile and gallery on here if you want to check it out. Good Luck!

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:38 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's the problem with SG bars. They are the same bars used on the Standard, Classic and Ultra Classic electra Glides.If you take notice those 3 models have a different seating position. You are seated closer to the tank therefore closer to the bars.
The SG seats place you further back making most riders reach for the controls. That's what gives you the discomfort in the upper back and neck area.
I have the same problem. During a long ride my right trapesius actually starts to burn. Thats how tight it gets.
I think the real solution is to get new bars.
Harley figures it would be more expensive for them to have to manufacture different bars and cables specifically for the SG. Much cheaper to use what is being put on the other EG's.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-27-2008 | 10:33 PM
BigDaddy2
Tourer

If your short, get harleys Reach seat it'll put you down and forward an 1 1/2" both ways. You might try a shock lowering kit. They've got everything from 3/4" to 3 1/2". Easy to put on but I wouldn't go more than an inch. Streetglide shocks hold 50lbs. and if you're ridin two up, I think you'll be safe. I dropped the rear on my standard an 1 1/4". It rides and handles fine.

Old 02-28-2008 | 05:11 PM
ocstreetglide
Stage IV

Have an '07 Strret GLide, and had the same problem with the back. I changed the seat (Sundowner) and addeda rider's backrest, but still had the problem though not as much. Finally changed teh bars (Chubby's), which made a world of difference - brought my hands up and back a couple of inches. Also added braided cables - I read the forums, and the cables do need to be longer (about 4 inches) despite what CHubby or HD says. A warning though, the temptation to chrome out the handlebars was just too strong for me!

Quick Reply: Trying to get more comfortable