Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG bars on an RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RG bars on an RKC?

Can someone with a RG do some quick measurements on their bars and tell me what they are? ie; width, pull back, center width, rise. I want to see the difference from my bars, cause I may do the swap if they are a better set up. Others on here have done it and it may be an option. Not sure of the differences in previous years, so if you have an 08 I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RG bars on an RKC?

Would like to hear from those who have installed the Road Glide handlebars on their Road Kings as well; wish I would've tried them beforeinstalling Heritage Classic bars on my Road King, which I don't likedue to the lack of control on slow speed or sharp turns. You may also want to consider and take a look at theChubby's Wild One 518 Road King II handlebar,I've heard many good things about.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: billybobsrk

Would like to hear from those who have installed the Road Glide handlebars on their Road Kings as well; wish I would've tried them beforeinstalling Heritage Classic bars on my Road King, which I don't likedue to the lack of control on slow speed or sharp turns. You may also want to consider and take a look at theChubby's Wild One 518 Road King II handlebar,I've heard many good things about.
My brother has em, not my cup of tea. I love the way the stockers feel just need them taller and maybe back an inch or so.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, let me ask this, does anyone have a parts book for their 05-07touring bikeand can you give me the part # for the RG bars? Thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JohnnyD,

Width - 32"
Pullback - 4.5"
Center W - 10"
Rise - 8"

These measurements are approx. I'm not sure if the pullback is correct. I layed my bars face down flat on a table and measured from the tip of the bar down to the table. It gave me the 4.5" of rise off of the table, or pullback from the vertical bend.

What I will tell you these bars are....they are the worst bars I've ever used. Peices of chit when it comes to bagger comfort. You can have mine, stock bars, off my '07 for the cost of shpping. Just let me know.

Just to expand breifly on what makes them so uncomfortable for me, and many others...I think it has to do with the poor angle of thegrip area of the bars. If you make two fists and stick your fists straight out in front of you, your natural position is for your hands to angle downward out. Otherwords, your thumbs are parralell with the ground and your pinkies are lower then your pointing finger. Your knuckles slope downward to the outside. When you have your hands on the bars, that position is actualy inverted. Your thumbs end up level or below your pinkies and the hand angle is down to the inside...turned inside. Put weight on this now, because the rise and pullback are both short so you are leaning towards the bars, and your shoulders and armsstart to hurt soon.

Just my experience with the stock RG bars. Others may have had better luck. Offer stands.

Marcus

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious what makes you feel you do not have as much control in slow speed or sharp turns?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JohnnyD, are you a taller guy? My buddy is well over 6' and also hated the stock RK bars. He went to 14" apes. They are not too tall looking and he loves them now. His hands are well below his shoulders, but in a commfortable possition and he does not have to lean forward to the bars. This took a lot of strain off of his shoulders and lower back. The bars look great on his bike too. If you do taller bars, try and look for a center width that is greater than 10" so it will go with the beefy FL front end and bolbous RK nacelle. If you go with a center width that is narrower than the front end, it will look slightly odd on that bike. Your bike is badass. I love the RK look.

Just my .02