Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 11:51 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Default RE: Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?

I would be pissed too if a motor I had blew like yours did. But you can't compare the Twincam to Evo. Apples to oranges. That's why we all have opinions. I've had great luck with S&S and wouldn't hesitate to buy or recommend them.

Old 02-26-2008 | 08:28 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

I think that Glideman is right on the money. Having done the HQ 120 build witha JIMs crank and HQ top end, I have about 2/3 of what it would cost just to buy the S&S and everything is either reworked or new so it should last a long time. From a performance perspective, the build is done for power but also for longevity. It is only 10.5:1 and the HQ 575 cam is a mild mannered torque monster that idles well and pulls strong. Build it yourself or have a good shop do it, you will have a nice package when you are done and save a bit of money.

I dont have experience with the S&S engines, but have heard both sides, they are good and they are prone to self destruction. Guess it depends on the build and how you treat them.

Old 02-26-2008 | 08:44 PM
Keener
|
Tourer

I appreciate all the input.

Custombaggers.com, I just completed a full "Stage 1". Fullsac dual exhaust, TMax Auto tuner, and a AN Big Sucker air cleaner.

At this point, I am assuming my 2008 year will find me having almost enough snort for the riding season.

Ilive down the road from the Dennis Kirk Outlet Center (Snowy MN). They have a few crate motors for sale with large % markdown. Just wondering if it makes sense to go with a preconfigured motor, vs all the teardown and upgrades in the future.

I am aware the John Force, Ryan Newman, and Indy Drivers go really fast, but I have yet to see any of their motors commuting to the "Big City", or cruisin' the Mountain passes either.

The great thing is, GMR, JIMs or HQ sells great products,and the service seems top rate.

Old 02-27-2008 | 12:27 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

It is a perfect bagger motor,mine has been an pure joy to own.Very powerful, smooth,it sounds great.Bolts right in, EVO mount,S&S IST ignition is the cats meow.Coming into the 6th season.

Old 02-27-2008 | 01:28 PM
KustomBaggers.com
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Keener

I appreciate all the input.

Custombaggers.com, I just completed a full "Stage 1". Fullsac dual exhaust, TMax Auto tuner, and a AN Big Sucker air cleaner.

At this point, I am assuming my 2008 year will find me having almost enough snort for the riding season.

Ilive down the road from the Dennis Kirk Outlet Center (Snowy MN). They have a few crate motors for sale with large % markdown. Just wondering if it makes sense to go with a preconfigured motor, vs all the teardown and upgrades in the future.

I am aware the John Force, Ryan Newman, and Indy Drivers go really fast, but I have yet to see any of their motors commuting to the "Big City", or cruisin' the Mountain passes either.

The great thing is, GMR, JIMs or HQ sells great products,and the service seems top rate.
From what you ride now and with what you have done thus far you would find great improvement by going to a 95" with a setofcams and head work. For most riders a solid 95" upgrade from their 88" is all they need. You can expect HP and Torque numbers right around 100 with a good formula of parts. Your TMax tuner is a great way to take advantage of your performance upgrades.

No doubt the 124" from S&S is a strong motor.We have done several builds with that engine and it is what we run on the Salt Flats. For most daily riders it is excessive. However lots of riders want the biggest and baddest money can buy. There is nothing wrong with that. For most riders however a solid 95" is enough and on newer models the 96" and 103" with good torque is plenty of engine.

If you run two up, fully loaded and pull a trailer a bigger engine is necessary but most riders don't need what the 124" can offer. On the street it does not get used to it's potential. If your a street racer or go to the drag strip on the weekend that's a whole nother story.

Peace
Joe

Old 02-27-2008 | 02:49 PM
js124
Tourer

Most bad you hear about S&S is from people not assembling them correctly hence the fact that S&S no longer sales unassembled motors to the public . It doesn't get much better than S&S . Especially when it comes to cases . If you think a set of bored out harley cases can hold more power you have made a mistake . There are other companies out there that are great also as stated above . A S&S 124 twin cam is a good choice as a dirrect replacement . You have to treat it a little diffrent than a stock 88 though . I'm not saying there is a problem with bored cases but they aren't going to be as strong as a aftermarket performance set . I haven't had as much dealing with the harley twin cam cases as the evo cases . I know they (tc) are better . I have been around a few jims 120's and haven't been overly impressed either . I do believe they are a good quality motor though . If you want to build your harley cases I would look at Headquarters . They do some great work .

Old 02-27-2008 | 05:09 PM
torch44
3rd Gear

I had a S&S 124" V-twim motorput inmy 2005 Road Glide,fuel injection,high performance clutch, zipper ignition system, 56MM delphi throttle body, true duels - sampson head pipes rinehart mufflers. KC Creations did the work, this is my road trip bike, over 17,000 miles and never a problem, when you want to go you can go, I have got as much as 44 mpg and as little as 32 mpg, gets better milage at 3500-4000 rpm.

Old 02-27-2008 | 07:00 PM
zoomie67
Tourer

Steve at GMR has or had a deuce with a 124" built on stock cases. Here's the link to the dyno sheet.
http://www.gmrperformance.com/GMR%20PDF/124_RevKit.pdf
He said it was nearly bullet proof and fast as all get out.
If I ever go that big, I'll yank the whole motor and send it to him. He's a stand up guy and a wealth of information.

Old 02-28-2008 | 09:45 PM
Panels
Novice

Keener,
After I get done with my 106" we can start on your 124", I will still woop your a**.
Or, go with me over to the Boar House and Tony will set you up.
Tom

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:32 AM
edtexas
Cruiser

I ride in Dallas, where most of the riding is bar to bar, although everybody tries to get there as fast as they can. There are a group of about eight guys that have some of the fastest touring
bikes in the country (that are not supercharged or turbocharged)

Several of these guys have dropped in S&S 124's into their streetglides, eg's and roadglides.
They have their heads redone by T-man performance, a few have increased compression
via pistons or gaskets, They run D&D Boarzillas and lately they have all switched to Speeds Performance Velocity Stacks which increases air velocity and volume more than anything on the market. Most have fuel injection, some use the new PSI carburetor (about $1200 bucks). they use gauges to track their air fuel mixtures and adjust for temperature and humidity, and some even use kill switches instead of their clutches when racing.

I can tell you, that most of these bikes smoke the fancy big dogs, big bears, texas choppers
and bourgets which are all very popular in Dallas. Most do this as they pull 1oo ft wheelies
(about a foot off the ground). They win all of the dyno shootouts that come into town.
The 124's are putting out 156 horsepower and about 170ft lbs of torque. it is a very
humiliating experience for those custom long choppers to be smoked by the big touring bikes.
These guys run these bikes hard on weekends, racing dozens of times throughout the day.
They are extremely dependable engines, but they are assembled by people that know
what they're doing. Most rebuild their engines at about 5,000 miles, not because something
failed, but because they want to improve their performance even more. Crazy, huh?

A stock s&s 124 built by the factory with a good intake and a Boarzilla exhaust (with big bore baffle)is a fantastic package for a touring bike. You will be the envy of all your friends. The guys with Harley engines that will give you a bad time for not sticking with a Harley engine will only do so because they can't afford the switch or because they can't keep up with you.

Upgrading your clutch on a stock 124 is a must. Primo brute, with an Ez clutch installed.
Good luck. Ride fast, ride safe.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a S&S 124" in their Bagger?