Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gage needle jumping

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fuel gage needle jumping

Ok, either I'm lame or the search engine on this site is inop...Anyway, I have an 02 Ultra and this morning, I noticed the fuel gage is jumping back and forth from full to 3/4's..I just filled up so it's full..Before I start tearing into it, woundering if it is something simple..like a loose connection, etc..
Thanks,

Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
steadyflow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel gage needle jumping

sounds like the float on the end of the sending unit is bad, over a period of time the float will get small leak and get fuel on the inside of the float, so now the float is trying to float with fuel in it. not allowing it to float all the way to the top to read full on the Gage it just sorta bobs up and down making your fuel Gage go back and forth,,,,, i suck at trying to explain things and i cant type sorry if it on the rough side

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Yogibear
Tourer

You explained it perfectly and you type just like most of us!

My 2003 FLHTCI is doing this exact thing. Thanks
for explaining it. Now I know what needs to be done!

Dennis

Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
DKSS07
Road Captain

It sounds like the needle is like to most of us......Scared of the rising fuel prices.

Ride safe.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

On my second Harley now and haven't been able to trust the fuel gauge on either one of them from day one. It doesn't bother me at all, I am used to it and wouldn't spend a penny or an extra minute to fix it. I set the short trip odometer to zero each time I fill up with gas. I know how far I can run on a tank of gas and I start looking for a place to fill up when I get within 30 miles of my limit regardless of what the gauge says.

Dennis

Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
fishpro
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with rochkes. Set the tripometer and go. Took a ride yesterday andfilled up beforewe left. At approximately 120 miles, the gauge light came on. I knew I had plenty of gas but it still messes with your head when yousee that light on. Pulled in to a gas station and could only put in 3.1 gallons.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks and I agree, I use the trip meter for every trip..Problem is, the needle jumping up and down catches my eye and is real annoying...It just started so I'm not use to it but was hoping it was something simple...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 PM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

A couple years ago my gauge was jumping all over the place. The service dept. installed a new gauge and it's good as new. I should of had them change the restof them- they are full of condensation. It's nice to see a clear lens.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

To answer your first question, yes the "search function" is inop, they are working on a fix. I agree with the others as to setting the trip odometer and ride.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
99igor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ground under the fuel tank cover. I don't know the term for it. The one that runs from the seat up to the front of the tank. I had the same problem and it turned out one of the wires under that cover was not connected.

Quick Reply: Fuel gage needle jumping