Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil spitting out of a/c

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
lenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil spitting out of a/c

I know this thread has been on before but I thought I would throw it out again to see if there were any new ideas. On an 07 Ultra with the Arlen Ness Big Sucka a/c I am getting oil coming out of the filter after long rides. Very annoying and messy to say the least. What is the permanent fix? I mentioned this to the dealer over the weekend and the first thing he said was so you have a high flow air filter and asked if the bike had the proper amount of oil. The answer was yes to both and he implied that I woiuld have to live with it. On my 02 Ultra with stock filtration I road to Milwaukee and back from the Northeast and did not have a drop of oil weep from the filter. I need to admit that I did have the oil a little high on the stick when this first happened and corrected the level as well as cleaned the filter but it returned on the next 300 mile ride. I have also read about the umbrella valves in the top of the engine inside the rocker covers. Is it possible that the one time that I over filled they lost there seal and need to be replaced? As the new riding season approaches I would love to get this mess cleared up all help would be appreciated.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts
Default RE: oil spitting out of a/c

When it says 4 quarts of oil, use 3.5-3.8
Tap into the backing plate and install hose bibs and run a hose to a tee then down to the ground or to a breather filter
Plug the holes that feed down into the intake. I tapped them and used set screws with loctite.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this little article interesting (yeah, it's Sportster-related but still interesting):

http://www.mklsportster.com/xloilblowbyarticle.htm

Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen this before, question: Are there any advantages / disadvantages sucking in the oil blowby back into the engine?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:40 PM
BigDaddy2
Tourer

Check on ebaymotors parts item # 140173828715 and check out the CCI part 020630= chrome engine breather oil tube collector. My standard does the same thing and I think this might be the answer. Looks pretty nice too.

BigDaddy2 [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
1atom12
Cruiser

I talked with Ness last week on the phone as I just ordered and received a new stage 1 Big Sucker. My backing plate looks different from the one posted above. My breather holes are located outside the throat of the plate and are much smaller. There are two "rain gutter" looking channels, one below each hole going into the throat. Ness said they redesigned the backing plate with the smaller holes, outside the throat with the rain gutter deals because people were still having blowby problems with the old backing plate. I have mine installed, but have not had a chance to try it yet as my bike is down for paint and wheels.

Lenny, which type of backing plate do you have?

If I still get carryover problems with the new Big Sucker, I;m either going to drill and tap some fittings as per Dawg or order a SE chrome backing plate and go back to the SE black rubber tubes that point straight into the throat. Hopefully I can still use my Big Sucker stage one filter and Ness billet cover with the SE chrome backing plate...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Cold Rider
Advanced

I have a FLHRS with Carb. I get this blow-by oil leak after running 65 or70 mph for an extended time.This problem only showed up after I switched to Mobil V-Twin. It's not too much oil as I've changed it twice and it still does it. I'm keeping the Mobil oil it seems to quiet the lifters down. I'll just wipe it down and ride.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Crankcase vent used to be at the bottom on old models way back when and I believe this was used to oil the chain at one time if I remember correctly. Anyways after it was moved to the top of the cyclinder head the problem wasn't there till people started installing SE backing plates or open filters. The oil escapes the air filter and leaks down the side when the stock filter used to trap it inside the air cleaner. Either you live with it, run the stock setup, or reroute the vent! I don't like the idea of pumping oil threw my carb/TB or filling my air filter with oil restricting it so I choose to run it down out of the way similar to Dawgs. This is one reasonI chose not to go with the Ness setup. I think alot of Ness's products are looks first then function.
I seen a guy one time with regular bolts in where the vent is and freaking oil was coming out of the gaskets and around the bolts, idiots.

Dawg, are you running a filter on the end of the hose or did you leave it open?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
scarygt
Road Master

When you drain your oil it is impossible to get all of the oil out of the motor.. so you just put in 3.5 quarts and you will be good to go. I run mobile one in mine and it is fine with 3.5 qts.

Good luck

Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Jsans
Tourer

Are you referring to the newer 08 Big Sucker?

Quick Reply: oil spitting out of a/c