Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Custom questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006 | 02:19 PM
haksaw
|
Road Master
Default RK Custom questions

Hey all,

I was planning on trading my ST deluxe on a new dyna but am now considering trading on the RK. My dealer has 2 2005 RK customs.

1. I'm 5'10" and it looks to be a long reach from the seat to the bars (compared to other HD's), especially making slow corners, it looks like i'd be completely stretched out because of the wide bars. (sorry for the horrible sentence/question structure) Is it as bad as it looks?
2. What are the handling characteristics like? I've owned an Eglide standard and I assume they'd be pretty similar.
3. Any other good/bad opinions

Old 01-26-2006 | 02:36 PM
vharrig
Cruiser
Default RE: RK Custom questions

I'm 5'8 and I own a Road King Custom. I haven't had any problems with control, reach, etc... I have apes on mine and honestly, the setup is very comfortable for me. I had a EG Standard before and to me they handle the same. Basically, it's the same bike, except I have different bags and no fairing.

Old 01-26-2006 | 03:10 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

I have a 05 RK Custom and have no problems. I am 5’11”. It is a great bike and very easy to handle. Anything that weights 750 lbs. will take some practice and skill to handle at low speeds. With the beach bars you will stretch a bit while making a U-turn but not really an issue. Great for cruising around town, and awesome for the long haul. Did round trip 1200 miles this past summer 2 up with no issues (except the trip ending).

Old 01-26-2006 | 03:17 PM
GrayRider
Tourer

I'm 6' and love the Beach Bars. Very comfortable for me. I've ridden it on 13 hour days on the interstate without any fatique. But, some guys change them out. The comfort depends on the individual.

Old 01-26-2006 | 05:06 PM
jd_underdog
Road Captain

i have a rkc with beach bars on it, i am about 5'7" and i love the set up, it works great for me, it does totally stretch you out on a slow short u turn, but really how often do you do that?

Old 01-26-2006 | 07:25 PM
haksaw
|
Road Master

jd underdog, how wide are your beachbars?

vharrig, how tall are your apes?

thanks

Old 01-26-2006 | 10:41 PM
mayday
Cruiser

I have an '05 RK Cust. I personally didnt care for the stock bars....seem too much like I was holding a wheelbarrel. So I opted for the Extended Reach RK bars.....they are a perfect fit for me. I love the bike....the handling is good....the ride is great.....and its got a great low profile. I've always said that is looks like a fatboy and a RK Classic got together and this is what you get.

Old 01-26-2006 | 11:56 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

Exactly! The reach on the beach bars wasnt/isnt the issue it the hand position. Well that and i just wanted Apes [8D]

Old 01-27-2006 | 02:15 AM
haksaw
|
Road Master

that's an awesome color. Nice ride. How tall are your apes? How tall are you?

I think i'd add apes too if i got a rk custom but only 10" or 12.5"

Old 01-27-2006 | 02:29 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

I looked and rode a RK before I purchased the TC and then the Ultra. I am 6'1", but have short arms and legs. The RK bars made me hunch forward to the point of uncomfortable after a period of time, but bars can be changed. As for the the way it handles, I felt no difference from any other tour model.

Quick Reply: RK Custom questions