Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM
chaswood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

i read all the advertisements about , ride str-8 , custom cycle engineering swingarm retofit, sta-bo, glide-pro, alloy art front and rear stabilizing kit, etc etc.

any input will be very much appreciated.
thanks
charlie

Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

uh slow down?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
gpainter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the Alloy Art staiblizer recently after a testimonial from a long-time rider. It genuinely improved 2-up handling, expecially for fast, sweeping turns with a passenger and loaded bags. I have an '07 Road Glide, which handles very well, but the stabilizer truly adds value when the bike is loaded.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Bluerose

Have not felt a Wobble yet on mine....

Old 02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really don't think mine wobbles??? I've pushed it pretty hard on some 80 mph curves and it's pretty damn stable.. Maybe if I hit a bump halfway through the curve it's not very nice but other than that, I think it handles better than my previous 04 Roadstar 1700!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a ridestr8 and it cured the back end wallow in the sweepers.

To me a wobble (handlebar oscillation) is different than a wallow....first thing I would check on a wobble is the neck bearings.

Other things to check:

tire pressure
spokes
air shocks
engine mounts and alignment

Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

My 02 FLHT wallowed from the very first time I went through a 60mph sweeper. The dealer told me 'they all do it'....I was not happy with that explanation. My 05 seemed better. I figured proper alignment and Metzler tires may have cured it on this one-that is until I was doing 70 around an access ramp and the bike went into one of the worst 'weaves' I'd experienced to date. I know it had to be a sight for the cars following me. They were probably just waiting for me to eat the guard rail. It seems the HD community in general is accepting of this, but to those of us with experience riding many other bikes, this handling 'glitch' is inexcusable. To those that say simply 'slow down', I'll give you that. But wait for the day when you are on that unfamiliar road and that sweeper comes up that is a little tighter than you expected, and you may have an unpleasant encounter. I think the MOCO needs to be retro-fitting all afflicted FL bikes with a stabilizer before a class-action suit makes them. It's the only responsible thing to do. I love my bike, but this really disturbs me. It reeks of corporate negligence and greed.
[sm=rant.gif]

Old 02-25-2008, 02:18 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

What wobble? What speed? Going straight or in curves? I have not felt a wobble on mine but I have only just got it and have not been over 100mph yet. At 100 on a straightaway it is steady as a rock. 07 FLHRS.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Low speed, right? Uh, wait a minute...... Is this a trick question?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Just knowing that it might happen and being prepared mentally for it is all the fix you need.To me it's not enough of an issue to spend $400 plus dollars onit.

Maintain your tires, and air pressures ( tires and shocks ).

If you stay within your skills as a rider....stay in the speed limit and proper turn setup,the odds you'll feel it are slim to none. If your pushinghigh speeds in big sweeping turns and feel the wobble, then you should be skilled enough to handle it with ease. If yournot skilled enough to handle it, you shouldn't be going that fast and it's your fault, not the bikes. It can be a surprise but if you know your bike, you'll be able to control it with ease.

Quick Reply: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???