Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts
Default RE: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

harley did change the fork set up for 07 ?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: juniors05RK

I made my wife get off and the wobble went away!
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Wobble...have ya tried quit'n drink'in

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
madmikee
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihad a vibration ora wobble or shimmy, or whatever you might choose to call it. It started about 65mph on a straight highway.

It turned out to be the Dunlop rear tire. A new Michelin fixed the problem. No more shimmy even over a hundred.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunnert

Ed, I don't mean to dispute you, but there is no such thing as being able to handle/control a high speed wobble. All you can do is get out of the throttle and hold on, and, oh yea, say a little prayer. It's a sham Harley's are so prone to this pheno... My RT is more stable the faster I ride it, the Harleys are just the opposite.
Dispute me all you want. That's what this forum is all about.

I have asweeper on the way home that I feel the wobble ona fairly regular basis. Every time thishappens, yes, ithas woke me up, but at no time have I ever felt that I didn't have control of the bike. IMO It's no worseof a control issue than tracking in a seamor rain grooves. Both will spook you a little but not cause you to loose control.

Keep in mind that we're talking about baggers. They're designed for cruising down the highway. We bought them because they are big, comfy, have storage and a smooth ride. They don't have a sport suspension and weren'tdesigned to ridden the way we push them.We shouldn't be surpirsed that they don't like it. It would be like taking an old Cadillac on a road course and complaining about the handling because thePorsche we just got out of didn't have a problem.The times Ihave experienced the wobble, I have been pushing over 80 in a turn where the limit is 60. When I take this same turn at 60.....no wobble.

I agree that it sucks that it happens, but we're complaining because our baggers don't handle like a crotch rocket when we push them to the limits.

That of course is just my opinion, but then again, you could be wrong

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigheadted

To all you who say slow down, that is your OPINION,
Its also the opinion of the manufacturer of the motorcycle, who CLEARLY spells out in the owners manual what speeds you should not exceed when riding the machine, for both 1up and 2up riding, which co-incedentally, is faster than the speed limit on any public road in the United States that I am aware of.

Bitch about it all you want, but HD baggers are not intended nor designed, for triple digit speeds. If thats what someone wants or expects, they bought the wrong bike. (I know, I know, HD should have sent someone to their house to explain all this and stop them from making the purchase)

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

I guess.......luckily.......no wobble.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: akenaten

The best thing to cure the wobble is effective design and engineering. Apparently other bike companies are able to engineer touring bikes that don't wobble. But it seems Harley can't . no big surprise there. Gueass not enough owners care.

Oh,and hey! How many here have bought a rivet?
Might want to do a little more research there. Goldwings have a well known decel wobble in the front end, (usually between 30-50 mph) and have had for DECADES and through several revisions of the bike (1200s and 1800s specifically come to mind) which owners are spending VASTLY more to try and correct than the price of a True-Track. And that "high tech" aluminum frame used on the 1800s has had recalls for the frame BREAKING at weld joints for 4 years running (2001-2004) It seems their "superior" engineering takes 4 years of the same issue to come up with a solution (jury is still out on 2005-2008 models)

As for the Yamaha Royal Star Venture, take one for a test ride sometime, if you really want an example of a ill-handling pig of a bike. That was the bike I was going to purchase to replace my 1986 Venture Royale, until I rode one. Could not wait to get off that POS. You need a good city block to get that thing to do a U-turn.

Would not know about a Victory Vision, would not be caught dead riding that "Arlen Ness humped George Jetson after they both dropped acid" thing long enough to form an opinion.

Cant think of any more fully dressed touring bikes out there.

Im no engineer, but its always seemed pretty clear to me. The same design that makes the HD baggers so easy to handle at low speed, makes them unsuitable at high speeds. (Im speaking of the front end, the rear end/rubber mount wiggle is another issue)

Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine wobbled while driving straight, going over a bridge. I was traveling at 65mph. I think what started it was a crosswind. That was a major pucker moment since there was traffic all around me. I now have a stabilizer and thank god it hasn't happened since.
I do experience light steering at 80mph. Feels like the front end is very light.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
gpainter
Intermediate

Dudes, we're talking about motorcycles here. Don't tell me to stick with the speed limit and I'll be o.k. And don't tell me it's a Harley and I should not expect reasonable handling. Truth is, Harley build a system to accomodate the vibes from a V-twin and harvested a separate problem. Apparently, not all riders experience it. Fine. For those who do, there are various fixes. Just don't tell me to ignore it because it's not a problem for YOU.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Cold Rider
Advanced

I had it, scared the hell out of me!! I slowed down, no wobble.If I feel the need to go fast, I'll but another crotch rocket.

Quick Reply: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???