Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

ORIGINAL: 2003FLHPI

uh slow down?
+1

Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change bikes

Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

For those of you who haven't experienced the harley wobble, good for you. I am very happy that you haven't. Some of us have and some of us have watched it happen to our buddies. It ISa big deal. We should only have to worry about if the speed we are riding matches our riding skill, not worrying about if the bike changes the game whenever we least expect it to.

Those of you telling us just to slow down......... do you really believe that is the solution? Paying 20,000k+ for a bike is cool as long as you only ride as fast as the ones who aren't having any wobble problems?

What is wrong with expecting Harley to correct a problem on a high dollar bike that aftermarket companies can?

Dennis

The following users liked this post:
ShiftyCapone (05-12-2017)
Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM
juniors05RK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my wife get off and the wobble went away!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
sanaga
Road Captain

the problem is the UN-SYMETRIC LINE BETWEEN FRONT AND REAR TYRE OF UR HD.....no matter what equipment u install, maybe it will cure a little/minimize problem but CANT dissapear the problem....
unless hd make the front and rear tyre symetric, the problem still there brutha.....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Well put there rochkes !!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Ultra Rider 03
Intermediate

This problem is here for sure but not always is it felt by all for variouse reasons. Now I whole heartedly believe people that when they put thinbgs on like Ridestr8 and such they feel an improvement. But look at the system here, if the back of the trans is shimed properly there should be no side to side movement, and that is all a Ridestr8 will stop. But look at it the swing arm is mounted in rubber and can and does move from side to side and with more and more miles it is worst. What I'm saying is we should fix what is really wrong and no put a band aid on it such as the trans stabilizers. Solid bearings in the swing arm and the larger axle and heaver later swing arm all seem to be a better fix but granted maybe cost more but hell we all probaly spend more on chrome! I have donethe shimmimg on mine and have no wobble at this time. but I am going to look into the bearing set up also for the swing arm. This just the wat I see it and hope it could get people thinking about the real fix even if it is not what I just talked about!! NO BAND AIDS!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing to cure the wobble is effective design and engineering. Apparently other bike companies are able to engineer touring bikes that don't wobble. But it seems Harley can't . no big surprise there. Gueass not enough owners care.
But this year I will be buying a Road King. And i will fit an aftermarket whatever to make it ride right.

Oh,and hey! How many here have bought a rivet?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
krynberry
Stage I

If your having high speed wobble try checking your tire pressure and if thats ok, its probably your alignment in the front end you should take it to the service dept. and have them do a 3 swing alignment check you could possibly have bad steering head bearings. or just be out of alignment

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

different issues hear guys! high speed wobble,wipp up ,tank slapper ,all conditions of alinment problems neck bearing sloppy fork tubes sloppy, ussually hapens in a straight line at high speed it has a real pucker factor to it it will ussully get worse for a few seconds when u get out of the gas witch really adds to pucker. second is the walkin your back end does in sweepers it is ussuly due to the rubber swing arm bushings weak swing arm or soft tires it is worse when loaded. rear end stabilizers will help alot but best fix is lose the rubber and go to bearings,but the ride will suffer.

Quick Reply: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???