Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???

ORIGINAL: rcastorena
I really don't think mine wobbles??? I've pushed it pretty hard on some 80 mph curves and it's pretty damn stable.. Maybe if I hit a bump halfway through the curve it's not very nice but other than that, I think it handles better than my previous 04 Roadstar 1700!
I have not seen the wobble either. Go figure.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 AM
bobmurdy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bud, I do a lot of miles (1200) to Portugal and back, every other month. I have been concerned at the wobbly back end on my Glide Standard (2006) since I bought it (owned a Road King and Heritage before). I purchased a St8 stabaliser and noticed a dramatic change in the handling. Best money I think I have spent on the bike to date, trust me its going to cost you a lot more in nerves and damages if you dont bother to fit one (Harley should fit one as standard). Hope this helps . Bob

Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

BeforeI would buy anything to "add on" I would address the problem. It sounds like this issue occurs when one or more things are off. Loose or warn neck bearings, warn bushings, bike alignment, wheel warp or balance, suspension either shocks or springs, damper oil levels, tires, etc.

If the bike didn't exhibit these issueswhen it was newerit should be returned or rebuilt to its originalcondition. I would do thisbefore throwing money at the aftermarket fixes and putting them on abike that may only mask a serious condition. That could be a really disaster.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer

So far I've been pretty stable on the '05, even when loaded but, yeah, you hit a good bump in a high speed sweeper and it WILL get your attention [:-]

ORIGINAL: rcastorena

I really don't think mine wobbles??? I've pushed it pretty hard on some 80 mph curves and it's pretty damn stable.. Maybe if I hit a bump halfway through the curve it's not very nice but other than that, I think it handles better than my previous 04 Roadstar 1700!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IF THE MCY IS "HEAVY" ENUFF THEY WILL ALL WOBBLE. 2 UP ITLL WOBBLE.. LOTSA BAGGAGE ITLL WOBBLE.. THE ITEMS YOU MENTIONED MAY WORK.. IF NOT BUY A GOLD WING.. HATE TO SAY IT EVER LOOK AT A GOLD WING FRAME. HD WAKE UP.. PS: I WILL ONLY RIDE HARLEYS

Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Never experienced that with mine, but i don't really do those high speed sweepers - very mellow cruising-type of rider here - so perhaps that's why.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003FLHPI, you are 100% correct, SLOW DOWN!!!! All the other stuff may "help", it won't cure.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
sanaga
Road Captain

no...high speed wobble when leancant cured...slow down or change to GW or jap bikes.....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, I don't mean to dispute you, but there is no such thing as being able to handle/control a high speed wobble. All you can do is get out of the throttle and hold on, and, oh yea, say a little prayer. It's a sham Harley's are so prone to this pheno... My RT is more stable the faster I ride it, the Harleys are just the opposite.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

To all you who say slow down, that is your OPINION, fact is there is indeed a handling defeciency with these chassis, just because your riding style or particular riding has not experienced it does not mean it does not exist. If you just cruise down the road mellow you will likely never have this happen but if you ride with more "spirit" you just might. Have any of you ever ridden a machine before and after the install of any of these products to make a resemblance of a qualified or knowing opinion ??? If I had listened to you folks and not those who have true experience regarding this I would not have ever made the upgrade that in my humble opinion made a very noticable improvement in the handling traits of my machine and the way I ride it. To those wondering about it do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions and wade your way through all the opinions of the unknowing and make your decision for you and your machine and the way you ride it. Now the can of worms is opened let the slamming begin !!! Look at the year of the bike the man is on, a 2008 just how worn could it be ?? Good advice to check and verify everything and ensure all is correct, I did and I still got the wag but only when riding hard in corners, gone now with the help of a aftermarket band-aid !!!

Quick Reply: what is the cure for the high speed wobble???