Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 07:00 PM
Bigtwin
|
Stage IV
Default Shifting

Has anyone ever experenced what I call stiff or stubborn shifting. When the bike is cold it seems to shift fine but when the bike warms up it is sometimes hard to shift into neutral when I am stoped. any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2008 | 07:02 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Shifting

A Good SYN OIL in the tranny should help (did on mine)...

Old 02-24-2008 | 07:03 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

It is normal while sitting still.When I know a stop is coming I shift into neutral while slowing down.Other wize it just takes practice and getting to know your ride.

Old 02-24-2008 | 07:04 PM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

A Good SYN OIL in the tranny should help (did on mine)...
+1, made a HUGE difference in mine.

Old 02-24-2008 | 07:11 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Put Redline Shockproof heavy in it and it will be a distant memory. Worked for me, 2 years ago. I buy it by the case and sell it to all my friends who use it. We all get a better price. I bought a case last month and I've got 2 qts. left, for me. I tried mobil 1 and to me this worked better. I still use Mobil 1 in engine and primary. Just my .02 Dan

Old 02-25-2008 | 12:12 AM
FLHXn
Tourer

Neutral is usually tricky on most bikes.. I thought mine wasa pain the first few weeks, but now I'm used to it. I've had friends sit on it and try to find neutral and they all struggle a few times. I changed to synthetic 75w140 (some mopar stuff that I get free at work) and it seems to be better. Not to mention the shifting at speed is much quieter and not such a loud "clank" between gears...

Old 02-25-2008 | 05:54 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

I was having trouble finding neutral on my 06 Ultra untill I checked and adjusted the primary chain slack. Now it's a breeze. Also I use Mobil 1 in everything.

Old 02-25-2008 | 06:13 AM
slankard
Cruiser

I noticed that my Ultra went into neutral easier after installing the IDS. I guess it took some of the tension off the drive train with the rubber bushings.

Old 02-25-2008 | 06:35 AM
cmcsns
Road Master

mine was tricky till I got some miles on it, and the Redline V Twin oil helped I'm sure

Old 02-25-2008 | 06:55 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

First welcome to the ranch. From my experience Harley's aredifficult to put in neutral especially when sitting still. I've also heard syn oil helps and you may need to slightly roll the bike back and forth to get it in. I'm only trying to help anddon't mean to insult your intelligence or anything like that but some new riders aren't aware of the following.

Don'tshift to neutral atstops. Youwant to be in first gear in case you need to move quickly like to get out of someones way.The time it takes to kick it in gear could make a difference in whether or not you escape.

Don't park the bike in neutral as in could roll off the jiffy stand, leave it in gear.

About the only time I use neutral is warming up the bike which isn't much.

Ride well,

Jim

Quick Reply: Shifting