Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overnight motel parking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Lucky Scott
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overnight motel parking

Okay, whats the best procedure for leaving your bike at a motel overnight.
I plan on taking some trips this spring and summer and am thinking about how to protect my Road King while I am sleeping in the room.
Will lock and use alarm, anything else?
What about the stuff that comes off the bike, stuff like the quick release windshield, take it inside?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
the reverend
Tourer
Default RE: overnight motel parking

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
dt20
Tourer

I usually take the bags off and bring them in the room. i will check with the motel as well if I can park it outside the front door or somewhere somebody can keep and eye on it. if thats not possible park it under one of the lights and you may want to carry a cover. most hotels are pretty good about this when it comes to bikes and will do what they can.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I like the kind of Motel that you can park your bike right outside your door. Having an audio alarm system is definately a bonus. If anyone messes with it (even by accident) you will be the 1st to know. I've heard of people manueuvering their bike right into their room. I have never gone to that kind of trouble and have never had a problem.

Of course, it goes without saying, if it's not nailed down...someone's going to steal it. Outta sight out outta mind. Use your best judgement. Anything can happen at anytime...and there is a first time for everything. I still opt to leave my quick detach windshield and luggage rack on my bike. It would be very easy for someone to take it ... just hasn't happened ... yet. I have never really worried about it.

Just use your best judgement ... some neighbourhoods are a little better risk than others.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your insurance is paid, go to sleep, and don't worry about it. The odds are better that it wo'nt get stolen than it will. Just use common sense and enjoy the trip.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they want the bike, or parts of it, they will get it. Best defense is a good insurance policy. I have mine insured for "face value" meaning that I have a rider on the policy that insures to a certain dollar amount, so if it does disappear, I am not out much. When traveling I usually try to park it up front by the registration window, under the canopy or on the sidewalk. I have never had a motel refuse to accomodate me in this manner. I always try to stay at hotels with exterior exits, meaning you walk right out into the parking lot. If I can find places like that, I will park the bike right up against the room.

Insure, lock it and get a good nights sleep.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM
binkman78
Club Member

Lock the bags, put the cover on and set the alarm.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask if you can park in front by the office where it's well lighted. Most times they will let you.

Remove anything that can be lifted off. Lock the fork lock and put a noticeable heavy duty lock on the front brake disk. Cover it and get a good nights sleep.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just as some one else said,I wont stay in one I cant put the MC by the door. I also put mine on the sidewalk under the window close to the wall,close enough that someone cant get a pipe or fence post or what ever through the wheels.Park with the right side close to the wall and they cant get bolt cutters to the disc lock,lock the frontend,encourage your neighbor in a cage to park in front of the MC so its not seen from the street.Just my method so drunk honeymooners dont run it over.Never had any trouble,sidewalks are usually plenty wide for people to walk around so no complaints from that side either.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:45 PM
debay
Tourer

Insurance first, Audio Alarm, Get some sleep.
[hr]

Quick Reply: overnight motel parking